Sticking Steering

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. I have an early 99 F-250SD. It has 166k on it and I am experiencing some problems. Let's begin with the problem. When turning to the left at slow speeds under 35, the steering acts like it sticks there. It will just keep pulling this way until you jerk it back to the right. Occasionally you can feel popping through the steering wheel when driving through a parking lot. At highway speeds the thing handles like a champ. Does anybody have any ideas of what this is. I have been told it could be a u joint out the frond axle. Does that sound right. Thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have your HUBS locked in. Do you have Electronic Shift on the Fly 4x4?

In normal 2wd mode, you should be able to turn the front driveline with your hand. If you cannot!, then either you have a hub engaged, *OR* the motor that shifts the transfercase into 2wd/4wd has failed and its stuck in 4wd mode.

Another thing it could be is, your ball joints have finally given up the ghost. This is a common problem on our trucks, and its because Ford used a "NON GREASEABLE balljoint, and it was a BAD DECISION! Replace with greaseable units if you plan on keeping the truck any length of time.

Does the steering feel like its binding if at a stop? or do you need to be moving slightly? If you can recreate the problem at a stop, then have someone watch the steering components as you saw the wheel back and forth. Safety First, try not to run your partner over. Set the Ebrake at a minimum :D

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are the orginal ball joints, they are probabley due.
Jack it up, push/pull at bottem of tire, watch for movement at the joint, repeat at the top of tire.
Also, slip bar under tire, pry up, gently, watch for movement.
Check hubs first, that is the easiest.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have jacked it up and the tire didn't shake at all. I have also turned the wheel at a stop and nothing happens that should'nt. I have to think it may be something with the hubs, having them looked at this Friday, at my local mechanich that checks over anything that I can't do on my own.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Check out your tie rod ends to see if they bind. New ball joints can be installed to tight and make it bind too.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, almost sounds like my Ex when the power steering pump was on its way out. Did the same thing at slower speeds and then one day it just totally quit!! It shelled out internally and sheared the input shaft in the pump. It ended up costing me 49.00 for the pump and it only took about 4 hrs to change. Its not hard, just something else to think about when your doin some troubleshooting.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was thinking about checking the powersteering pump, but I wasn't sure how to go about doing that. Any ideas on how to check that?

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the belt?
Rare, but it happens from time to time.
At a standstill, slowly going lock to lock might be a way to check the pump, Manual goes into pressure checks, ec.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
Thanks guys, I was thinking about checking the powersteering pump, but I wasn't sure how to go about doing that. Any ideas on how to check that?
The way I did mine was put it on jack stands and then go lock to lock about 10 times, if the pump is noisy or chatters chances are its gonna give up on you soon, best to change it...Now Im assuming that you have the PSD, so it maybe different, but believe me, you dont wanna lose powersteering on one of these trucks, its hard as hell to turn. I lost mine in a parking lot when I turned out into traffic!! That sucked....But the one that I have on the V-10 cost 79.00 with a $30 core. So it only cost me $50. Hopefully yours wont be that much more if any. But from what your sayin, thats what it sounds like!! Good luck!

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Hey guys I have fixed the problem. It was my lockouts. They were not fully disengaging. Thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58