Sticky Steering

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
My 99 F-350 in the sig line has VERY stiff, sticky feeling steering. It doesn't want to steer itself back to straight line when steering adjustments are made. This makes it necessary to be CONSTANTLY adjusting heading while driving. It is horrible. To top it off, I have a LOT of slop in the wheel (a good 2" of nothing before the tires turn).

I have had it down to components, and here is what i know...

Tie rod ends are fine, not binding, and have zero visible play.

Ball joints flop smoothly and do not stick, and have no freeplay

Steering box accounts for 100% of the slop in the steering

I have no idea what is creating the sticky feeling.

I understand that the steering box can be adjusted to accomodate for the slop. Does this also help wit the VERY stiff and sticky operation, or am I missing something? Do I need a NEW box? Or can all of this nastiness be adjusted out?

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Hows the PS pump? When is the last time you did a fluid flush?
Fluid flush? :roflmao

When the clutch went out, I pushed it for a long time, and used the steering without the engine running. Fluid overflowed everywhere. I topped it back off with new fluid. Does that count? :D

Seriously, though, I am not convinced that the PS pump is in any good shape at all. Sometimes, when I'm sitting still and try to turn, it won't do it until i get it rolling or rev the engine. I guess it could be the problem for the sticky, and the box the problem for the sloppy. Hmmmmm.....

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
Fluid flush? :roflmao

When the clutch went out, I pushed it for a long time, and used the steering without the engine running. Fluid overflowed everywhere. I topped it back off with new fluid. Does that count? :D

Uhh, it counted for me when I popped my return hose and puked most of my fluid on the ground, so I dont see why it shouldnt count for you too.:D

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Does it work with less stiffness if you disconnect the steering stabilizer?

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner said:
Does it work with less stiffness if you disconnect the steering stabilizer?
I couldn't tell you, since my truck doesn't have one.... :D

Which is a problem all it's own, I've been meaning to install one for a while, it sucks when you hit a bridge approach or railroad and the truck shimmies all over the place.....

My truck seems to be missing a couple parts that some guys claim are on every truck. Steering stabilizer... Rear sway bar...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
JLDickmon said:
I think you just answered your own question
I think I can adjust the sloppiness out of it, or replace the steering box all together, but I can't figure out what is causing the "sticky" feeling. Maybe it won't feel so bad once I adjust it so that I don't have to turn the wheel 2" every time I need to make an adjustment in heading....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
what's causing the sticky feeling is your sloppy box actually binding...

you know the box is junk, start there..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14