Stiff Steering issues

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if your ball joints are so dry that they are partially seized up.
100k isn't that unheard of for ball joint replacement since the factory ball joints don't have grease fittings. I replaced mine at 110k miles with greaseable aftermarkets.

Last edited:

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I have went a little overboard when changing my power steering fluid. I add a little to much Lucas to the fluid, it made it so thick during the winter you could barely turn it. I had to drain off some and put in standard power steering fluid. then it worked fine.

I also had my ball joints replaced around 100-120K. I used greasable ball joints as my replacement.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I don't have the paperwork, but I think installed it was around $300. Make sure you get greasable ball-joints. I think the OEM are still not servicable. you can probably get the parts for $150 or so.I want to say that the original ones were riveted in and you had to drill the rivets out. Maybe someone else can verify this, I paid a local 4x4 shop to do them.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to verify, the original ball joints are press in with cir-clips not riveted.

I do 99% of my work myself but you should be able to pick-up aftermarket greasable ball joints for around $40 each. When I did mine I also did front hub/bearing seals (inners and outers) and front u-joints since it's not to often that the front end has to come that far apart. It cost me about $400 in parts when I did mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58