Still Have a Front End Clunk

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided, a few weeks ago, to order the Energy Suspension sway bar end link bushings for my truck. I had a clunk that I could feel in the floorboard every time I hit a bump.

I spent about an hour today replacing the bushings and ended up breaking one of the bolts. I had to run to the hardware store to get a new one and figured I wouldn't hurt anything by leaving the front sway bar out.

I have a tiny bump at the end of my street and decided it would be a good test to go over it the same as I do everyday.

CLUNK!!

The front end of my truck feels and sounds the exact same with the sway bar out as it does with it in.

I got the bolt and put everything back together with no change whatsoever.

Ball joints were replaced this past June, shocks were replaced summer of '09, new X-code springs with new spring bushings in May of this year.

Is it possible for the spring hanger bushings to be worn out? When I put the new springs in, they felt very tight.

While I was under there, I put my hands on everything that I could and shook, twisted and manipulated as much as possible. I didn't feel anything loose but then again, I didn't have the truck in the air.

What else could be making a clunking sound when the suspension cycles that I would be feeling in my feet?

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed! I managed to get a good half turn on each of the shock bolts, front and rear. The truck is now as silent as the day I bought it.

coueshunter

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed! I managed to get a good half turn on each of the shock bolts, front and rear. The truck is now as silent as the day I bought it.

I was just going to tell you that the shock tabs that the bolt goes through need to be torqued down to touch the rubber and insert of the shock. Glad you found it and I could not help sooner

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
:coffee OK I have read like a million of these threads, and now I am noticing on mine when I hit a certian bump or when I start the truck it feels like the seat bolt busted under the drivers seat. But I think I might have to go around and tighten some shock bolts :sweet

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58