Stopped to top off tank, now no start

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
My wife's van is stuck at the local fuel stop. 2004 Ford E-350 with 6.0 PowerStroke and auto transmission. Engine cranks but will not start. I have been smelling a strong diesel fuel odor for a few weeks now, I was able to pop open the doghouse and check the rear of the engine. No leaks around the turbo as was suggested when I brought the smell issue up before. There is wetness at the rear of the engine, and a small drip from that area is evident when the fuel pump is running.

Looking for ideas and guesstimates as to how much $$$ I'm looking at. Right now our only income is from the wife's business and we are dead in the water. I'm going to attach a tow strap to the van later and have my wife drive the pickup to tow it to the dealership eight miles away. $200 for a tow is a bit much.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
rray-

any codes? Check engine light?

any access to a code reader?

when was the last fuel filter changed?

dont count the $$$ until its hatched.

dp

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
No check engine light.

No access to a code reader. Hate to tow it to the dealer because even though I trust the diesel tech there, the diagnostic alone will set me back nearly $150. They charge that just to plug in the truck.

Fuel filter changed 3000 miles ago.

The truck was running perfectly, although with an occasional raw diesel smell. I can see wet spots on the rear of the engine around the bottom of the valve covers, but I don't know if it is engine oil or fuel. There is a definite slow drip from the rear of the engine when the key is on and the fuel pump has pressurized the fuel system. I checked the fuel conditioner module for water, no water present.

dpantazis

Reaction score
silly question, did you check the fuel cutoff switch? on the trucks, its on the passenger side, just forward of the door post. not sure on the vans.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
try putting jumper cables on it could be batteries it may crank but the they may drop just enough voltage on cranking to keep it from firing up had this happen on my f350 and excursion

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
From a few posts I have read before where people had a similar problem like yours Richard, the coolant level was way low.

May sound stupid, but I think I remember it correctly.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
First and foremost, get that fuel leak resolved and see if that fixes the no-start. Secondly, do you have the ability to get a scanner on that thing and see what your HPOP pressure is? I'm wondering if you didnt experience a coincidental failure at the time of the fill up.

dpantazis

Reaction score
rray-

where is the van now?

6.0s' don;t have CPS's.

X2 on the batteries & coolant level. i would also check oil level (though it would throw a service light)

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was able to get the truck to the dealership, but they have not gotten back to me as to what may or may not be wrong with it.

Batteries should be okay, as I replaced them two weeks ago with a set of Motorcrafts. Alternator is a month old. Fuel filter recently replaced along with the main fuel filter cap. Fuel pump hums.

The bad thing is that as long as the truck is in the shop, we lose sales potential of nearly $500 a day. I'm grateful that this week was a slow week and we could move appointments to next week. I just hope that the fix is not too expensive.

Stephen, I did not even think to check the coolant level. I do know if the oil level is low it could keep the injectors from firing, but I checked it and the oil level was fine.

I'll keep everyone posted, at least the van is at the dealership safe inside the garage, instead of being parked in front of a convenience store.:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58