Strange coolant leak

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Can't seem to find the leak but she is leaving a puddle on the shop floor. Drips a little here and there but on start-up a tablespoon or more comes out of the bell-housing like it has run out the back of the valley? No place for coolant to get in the valley is there? Been dribbling for a couple of months and the level is only about 1/2" from full so it is not serious yet but I want it to stop. Any idears??

I was only leak free for about a month after the hpop gasket replacement and now she is dribbling a few drops of oil on the floor along with this coolant :rant I hate leaks... Might have to break down and buy some diapers for her.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
She is new. Only 11 years old with a little over 60K. Just getting broke in. I think my leaking issues may be a result of all the time she spends sitting, might need to drive around a little more..

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
I can't think of any place on top for coolant to leak. Don't know if there's a plug on the back of the block or not, but that would be a place to look. The rear oil cooler header is maybe close enough that a leak could get blown back in the flywheel cover when driving, but thats just a wild guess. I'd try leaving the cover off awhile and see if the leak shows it's source. :dunno

I hate leaks too. They know it so they keep coming back to spite me :D

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clean the engine off add some coolant leak detector and then check next day 2 see where the dribble iz happenin !!!

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
check your overflow hose. Mine had a hole.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I can't think of any place on top for coolant to leak. Don't know if there's a plug on the back of the block or not, but that would be a place to look.
I will check that out. I looked around under there again today and there is a little on the front of the engine so I am wondering if it may be another water pump. This pump is only a couple of years old but I guess it could have failed again. Wondering if the leak could be getting blown back up into the valley. When I fired it up today another few teaspoons came gushing out of the slot on the bottom of the flywheel cover. The last time the truck was run was Saturday and at that time I only pulled it out of the shop for a bit then put it back in. Seems to leak more when sitting than when running. Strange....very strange.

check your overflow hose. Mine had a hole.

All hoses are good.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheres the block heater on that thing ? could it be comin' from that ?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Figured it out :D

I pulled the fan and shroud out and fired it up. Found that the leak was on the backside of the thermostat housing. With the fan installed the wind was blowing the coolant up the wiring harness that runs behind the housing and depositing it in the valley. Got about 4 drops on the floor under the front of the engine when I ran it for 5 minutes. Still got a drop or two out of the bell housing but I am sure that is just a left over puddle. Just happen to have a new 203 thermostat with gasket so we are off to change it out :sweet

Now for the oil leak.. Turns out it isn't oil it is Diesel that is mixed with the coolant in the valley. I am guessing a loose fuel line as all of them were changed out when the HPOP gasket was replaced. Will tackle that leak once the red stuff quits hitting the floor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58