Strange Oil Leak

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is parked in my garage most of the time so I have very little need for worrying about cold starts and this new problem has not surfaced while starting in realitively warmer garage than outside temp. I have had to to park outside at three different times in the last two weeks and when the temp has been around 20 degrees at starting time. Those three times when engine starts it starts leaking oil somehwere above power steering pump but not high enough to see from top of engine. It leaks about 1/2 cup of oil on ground and then stops, either when engine reaches higher temp or oil line reaches higher pressure? Any ideas where to start looking? It is oil and not power steering fluid.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
threejacks said:
My truck is parked in my garage most of the time so I have very little need for worrying about cold starts and this new problem has not surfaced while starting in realitively warmer garage than outside temp. I have had to to park outside at three different times in the last two weeks and when the temp has been around 20 degrees at starting time. Those three times when engine starts it starts leaking oil somehwere above power steering pump but not high enough to see from top of engine. It leaks about 1/2 cup of oil on ground and then stops, either when engine reaches higher temp or oil line reaches higher pressure? Any ideas where to start looking? It is oil and not power steering fluid.

Are you REAL sure it's Oil, or could it possibly be Fuel ?

:dunno

Joe

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I had this happen on my 97 and it was the fuel transfer pump it would do his when it was cold and quit when it was warm

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not saying it's not fuel but it is very black and at 20 degrees it is very thick. Is the fuel transfer pump located above or behind the power steering pump? That is where the drainage is coming from.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
The transfer pump is located between the heads and behind the fuel filter canister. I'm pretty sure this pump drives off the camshaft so I suppose it could leak engine oil. when mine leaked it ran down the bell housing, but it could probly run down the front of the engine depending on how clean the valley between the heads is or how you truck sits. steam clean the valley out and let the truck sit in the cold and start it when it is cold, watch it with a light and see what you see. I think they a notorious for leaking here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14