Strange tire wear

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had the truck too long so I really hadn't noticed until I recently detailed the wheels. The sidewalls of the tires have what appear to be perfectly cut crescents. The crescents are several in number and run almost completely around the tires. They don't run deep into the rubber, but they don't look healthy either.

Any ideas? Also, should I be concerned about this from a safety perspective?

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
spindrift said:
Haven't had the truck too long so I really hadn't noticed until I recently detailed the wheels. The sidewalls of the tires have what appear to be perfectly cut crescents. The crescents are several in number and run almost completely around the tires. They don't run deep into the rubber, but they don't look healthy either.

Any ideas? Also, should I be concerned about this from a safety perspective?
It is hard to say without looking at them whether they are safe or not. If you have doubts, do not hesitate to go to your local tire dealship (like a Les Schwab, if you have 'em wherever you are) and ask one of their older, smarter guys for advice. Also, Ford should be able to help.

As far s what caused it, my guess is they were underinflated for a period of time while being driven on, from your description.

Post pics????

rttoys

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With what you are describing, it is probably one of two things; under inflation or (most common) letting the wife drive:D . First one is easy to fix, the second is to teach the wife how not to rub curbs while turning, parking or going threw 'drive thrus'.

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm thinkin' that the previous owner had problems parallel parking. Maybe that's why he dumped the truck.

Crazyhorse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What tires? The General Americraps were known for this, since Itrashed them and put decent tires on, the problem has dissapeared on mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14