Help Needed Strange Vibration

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this all started right before DHRA Nationals. I was hopeing to run the truck this year, and took it out to do a couple of 4X4 launches and something just didn't feel right plus I could feel the Torque Convert slipping really bad. So after weighing the pros and cons I decided to just go and watch the races.

Now I have a bad vibration under my feet when I am stopped and when the truck is in part. But I need to add that it doesn't do it all the time. Some times if I just roll forward a few feet it will stop.

So tonight when I got home I could feel the vibration again so I put the truck in park and jumped underneath to find were this was coming from. I could see the transfer case viberating and in turn making the front drive shaft viberate, which is what I felt under my feet.

I am sure that this can't be good, plus my tranny temp has been running about 200'F just running down the road with out anything behind it. With an outside temp of 90. I am heading to Florida tomorrow just really kind of nervous about it right now espically with the vibration. Guess if all else fails I could pull into Sun Coast and have them put me a new one in.

Guess my question is what is going on with the T-case and what can I do to make it stop? Plus is that normal for a tranny temp? Thanks for the help

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
It seems like it is related to the torque converter more than the transmission. It should not shake the tc when it is in park. Im not sure about trans temp, I dont have that gauge yet:(

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like it is related to the torque converter more than the transmission. It should not shake the tc when it is in park:(

That is what I was thinking. Just never heard or even seen the T-case viberating. I not talking about to fall off but enough to see it when you looked underneath at it.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
my first guess would be torque converter, if the tranny is in neutral there should be no power transmitted through the tranny/t-case.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like your torque converter is on it's way out without a doubt and you have some slipping clutches internal in the transmission to get your temps that high.

As far as the vibrating transfer case check the bolts holding the transfer case to the extension housing and the extension housing to the back of the transmission.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm in Florida now truck drove fine the whole way except for the vibration when I stopped for fuel. Tranny temp still right at 200. Last night checked the clearence on the exhaust and there is a little bit of room but the exhaust is tight and the bolts holding the T-case are tight. Guess since I am here I am going to have it checked out before I get stuck on I-10 somewere between Fl and Tx. Thanks for the things to check.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin,

Glad to hear that you made it safely to FL...

A couple other things to check that would easily cause a vibration at idle would be the transmission mount that sits on the top of the crossmember this is put under tremendous stress when doing 4wd launches, glance at the motor mounts (doubtful) and try to wiggle the two driveshafts as they come out of the t-case.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopped by Sun Coast today and talked to the mechanic. Going to drop the truck off at 8 tomorrow morning. The mechanic rode with me today and said that he thinks the flywheel is cracked. But they are going to put it on the rack and go threw the tranny tomorrow. Can't wait to get this taken care of. 154k on the original tranny the guy at sun coast said I got my money's worth out of that tranny. I'll let ya'll know more tomorrow.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my truck. Turned out to be that three of the TC bolts had backed out. Even with Locktite(blue). They have red on them now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58