Strong Fuel Smell

tauchjt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 SD 4WD that has a strong fuel smell when I have the A/C or heat on. There are a few drops of fuel under the truck and the top of the engine has a little up there. To me it looks like the drain on the filter housing is leaking down, but I can't really tell. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'm in this rig about 350 miles a day and can't lose her, 227k and still truckin':eek:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Off... Welcome to SDD.COM :sweet :thumbs :sweet

At 227K you probably need to replace the O rings on the filter drain assembly. Ford sells a re-build kit with everything you need. Some of the SDD site sponsor vendors may have them too.

Last edited:

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
I just noticed the same smell yesterday morning. I will take a look tonight and see if mine is leaking in the same area. I did a quick look under the chasis and under the hood and nothing obvious.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a leak it may be on the drain valve or possibly the the filter housing gasket. Any little bit of fuel on top of the motor is gonna give you a very noticable fuel smell in the cab. Find some engine degreaser once you have located the leak and then clean that motor up asap!:sweet

tauchjt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help here. Any ideas where to get them besides the dealer?

BigBlueF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem and it was the two o rings on the drain valve. I got a handful from the locol hose and gasket supply house for a $1.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
From my truck this is what the valve looks like. The orings you replace have yellow paint on them in the picture.

They are 1/4"ID x 1/2"OD Viton orings and it takes two. Go go a good bearing supply house and they will likely have them.

Or you can order them from one of our sponsers.

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58