Strong Smell Of Fuel

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walking around the front of my truck Friday I noticed a strong smell of raw fuel. After checking around it looks to be coming from the lines that go to the fuel filter header. I got 50,000 miles on her, but called the dealer and they said it should be covered uner the 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Going in Saturday for it to be fixed...I'll check the warranty deal before they work on it.:(

JRJ04

Reaction score
i know on my 02 7.3, anytime i changed the fuel filter and drained the bowl, it will smell for weeks like raw fuel until it finally evaporates. you might just wanna check to make sure its not leaking around the fuel filter bowl and the drain valve. otherwise, just look for drip marks around there and follow it back up to the source. thats my best guess though

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the drain thing, but this looks like the lines on the back side of the filter header are wet under the fitting...

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer today...the diesel tech didn't show up for work:cussing: oh well, I'll try again next Saturday.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems that I either have a bad "O"ring or my filter cap is cracked.:cussing: So, now the question is to stock replace, or can I get an aftermarket cap. Maybe out of aluminum or S.S.? At least I figured this much out before I spent 90 bucks on diagnostic work at stealership...:doh:

SuperDooper04

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Seems that I either have a bad "O"ring or my filter cap is cracked.:cussing: So, now the question is to stock replace, or can I get an aftermarket cap. Maybe out of aluminum or S.S.? At least I figured this much out before I spent 90 bucks on diagnostic work at stealership...:doh:
I believe i have seen Biller alum caps for both the upper and lower filter canister in a set for like 80-90 bucks...they are pricey...amsoil sells them and you can get them directly from racor's web site as they are the ones who make the filter assy...try to stay away from cheap no namers because they could cause filter fitment issue and not filter correctly. Good luck.:sweet

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Superdooper04, I'm gonna get a replacement from Ford tommorow and a new set of fuel filters. I'll change them check for leaks, just want the ol' girl back on the road..........

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New cap and filters fixed it. I think the "O"ring was bad, but replaced the cap anyway(40 bucks) so all is good now:drive

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14