stuck thermostat?

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Oct I put in a Dieselsite 203 stat and filter system. Worked great, felt stronger on the freeway and towing. Temp gauge showed appropriate numbers for the stat.

Couple weeks ago put in new waterpump, belt, pullys and hoses. No issues tho havent driven it much since, but still gauges were appropriate.

Today I am driving down to the Valley in the storm we're having- have to stop 3 different times for wrecks. Takes about 1-2hrs each time. I am getting cold sitting there listening to the radio so turn the heat up. Little help, look at the temp gauge and it is at zero. Like I just started it up. So is the trans temp. Ck fluid level, no leaks runs ok and as soon as we start moving she warms up again but only to about 180, cept going (creeping, CalTrans wasnt in to plowing today I guess..)downhill when temp dropped to about 150. Trans never did warm up past 130.

What the heck, is the thermostat stuck open or something else??? :dunno I've only experienced them sticking closed!:rolleyes: If so Dieselsite may have some quality issues?!

Any other ideas??

Thanks
Mike

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had one of the legs break on me before in a different car. I knew I had a problem when the weather cooled off and the temp gauge started dropping when I was going any speed.

It is also not uncommon for the 7.3 to actually drop temperature when idling or creeping along in traffic especially if it's cold out.

Given the easy access of the T-sat just drain enough down out of the radiator that you can pull the stat and double check it. They do fail in both positions the spring can and does break

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Throw the stat into water and boil it. Watch to see if it opens and closes as the water cools down.

Dave

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Parts go bad some times. It is NOT dieselsite quality issue! Dieselsite sells them but doesnt manufacture them. I have had mine for 3 years!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a bad stat..

Agree. I've had parts "bad outa the box"... thru the years.

Throw the stat into water and boil it. Watch to see if it opens and closes as the water cools down.

Dave

Agree. Good testo testo.

Parts go bad some times. It is NOT dieselsite quality issue! Dieselsite sells them but doesnt manufacture them. I have had mine for 3 years!

And Agreed. 11 years on mine.

I'd put the old T-stat back in and try It.. if that fixes the problem.. get ahold of Bob'n see what the options are.

Last edited:

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks All-With a resource like SDD it is easy to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple! I appreciate it. :clap::clap:

And yeah, Dieselsite does have a quality issue if they've sold a part that goes bad that soon. However having had multiple dealings with Bob in the past pretty sure he'll want to know about it. I've no doubt they will square it away. :)

Dont have the old one so gonna put in a 12dollar cheepie from AZ till I can get a new 203 one. Kinda curious to see what the old one looks like...

Thanks again!

Mike

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Thanks All-With a resource like SDD it is easy to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple! I appreciate it. :clap::clap:

And yeah, Dieselsite does have a quality issue if they've sold a part that goes bad that soon. However having had multiple dealings with Bob in the past pretty sure he'll want to know about it. I've no doubt they will square it away. :)

Dont have the old one so gonna put in a 12dollar cheepie from AZ till I can get a new 203 one. Kinda curious to see what the old one looks like...

Thanks again!

Mike

Glad we all can help you but Dieselsite DOES NOT have quality issues. THEY DO NOT MANUFACTURE THE PART YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH!;tu

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad stat for sure. I would just go to you local NAPA store and get a new one. They give you a lifetime warranty on them. I can't argue with that logic - NAPA heavy duty tstat, lifetime warranty, readily availible thru the local NAPA store - what's not to like. I don't work for NAPA, I get treated real good when dealing with these folks.:D:D:D

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14