stuck thermostat?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
and I'm missing something here.. is it throwing cab heat or no?

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fixed it..finally

Bought an infa red thermometer. Checked the temp at the bypass port of the thermostat housing, then the other end of the hose at the filter head; went from ~190 to ~90. Couldnt figure out why such a drop xcept for no flow?? Called Bob Riley, he said it means a plugged filter. It was new when I replaced the pump, but changed it out anyways.

That took care of the problem.

Tho Bob did say that the right side port of the filter head is actually supposed ot be a discharge port; the most accurate reading will be off of the top port.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mike

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought an infa red thermometer. Checked the temp at the bypass port of the thermostat housing, then the other end of the hose at the filter head; went from ~190 to ~90. Couldnt figure out why such a drop xcept for no flow?? Called Bob Riley, he said it means a plugged filter. It was new when I replaced the pump, but changed it out anyways.

That took care of the problem.

Tho Bob did say that the right side port of the filter head is actually supposed ot be a discharge port; the most accurate reading will be off of the top port.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mike

Hmmm.. :confused: I don't understand.

A coolant filter is passive.. It only provides filtration. If it's plugged, yer just Not Getting filtration.. but that.. shouldn't have anything to do with coolant flow, through the thermostat. :dunno

Anyone ?????

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yeah that does not make any sense. I had to buy the ball valves to STOP the flow because the truck would not warm up fast. Did you get the ball valves when you bought the filter kit???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have that kit and I have had no problems with coolant flowing and the truck getting up to operating temperature. I added a second ball valve so I could change the filter when the truck is warm/hot and not loose any coolant.

Dave

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My explanation must have been bad...:sly

The temp sender is mounted on the filter head, the alum piece, on the side. Gets coolant from the bypass port thru one of the check valves.

When the filter was plugged (full) it didnt allow flow up from the stat housing thru the filter system. The flow just goes thru the upper rad hose, or at least most of it.
Bob said there is enough of a temp drop from the housing to the filter head so's the trickle that does go thru reads as very cold. The way to beat this is to mount the sender on the top port. Or leave it on the side as a "plugged filter indicator" My system must have been really a mess as this is the 4th filter!

At any rate, replaced the filter and works like a charm....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My explanation must have been bad...:sly

The temp sender is mounted on the filter head, the alum piece, on the side. Gets coolant from the bypass port thru one of the check valves.

When the filter was plugged (full) it didnt allow flow up from the stat housing thru the filter system. The flow just goes thru the upper rad hose, or at least most of it.
Bob said there is enough of a temp drop from the housing to the filter head so's the trickle that does go thru reads as very cold. The way to beat this is to mount the sender on the top port. Or leave it on the side as a "plugged filter indicator" My system must have been really a mess as this is the 4th filter!

At any rate, replaced the filter and works like a charm....

;tu OKAY.. Now I git it.

The temp reading, senced from the filter assembly.. was bogus, with a plugged filter.

Good to know.

Glad you got it figured out ;tu;tu

Joe

On edit: I went throught 4 filters, in the first 3-4 months.. to clean mine up.. Change it every year now, needed or not. I cut them open.. STILL getting some sand & grit, along with the normal scale'n stuff.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why you would want the temp sensor on the filter. The more junk the filter collects, the less flow and lower temperatures. Not very accurate.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why you would want the temp sensor on the filter. The more junk the filter collects, the less flow and lower temperatures. Not very accurate.

Dave

Just my .02 Dave.. I monitor my engine temp from there too. It's WAY more accurate than the OEM Dash gauge... which is basicaly just an Idiot Light.. with needle.

When towing.. I can see temps rise.. thermo open.. temps fall. The Dash gauge has NEVER, NEVER moved.

I like the "Real Time", "Real Deal".. Accuracy.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14