stuck thermostat?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I am trying to get one of them too. I was wondering where to put the sensor, but I guess I know where now. Thanks guys again!!!!

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had initially put the sender on the bypass port,but then took that port up with the coolant filter hose.
Thought about putting a T in there but not enough room. Guess I could have placed a T over where the factory sending unit is, but the filter head was handy.....or so I thought! :D:D

Now that this issue is figured out, I guess I'll leave it there!

Mike

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I am driving down to the Valley in the storm we're having- have to stop 3 different times for wrecks. Takes about 1-2hrs each time. I am getting cold sitting there listening to the radio so turn the heat up. Little help, look at the temp gauge and it is at zero. Like I just started it up. So is the trans temp. Ck fluid level, no leaks runs ok and as soon as we start moving she warms up again but only to about 180, cept going (creeping, CalTrans wasnt in to plowing today I guess..)downhill when temp dropped to about 150. Trans never did warm up past 130.
Thanks
Mike

I'm curious, do you think the low transmission temperature was unrelated to the clogged coolant filter? Perhaps only a result of the low outside air temperatures?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, do you think the low transmission temperature was unrelated to the clogged coolant filter? Perhaps only a result of the low outside air temperatures?

If the Trans Temp sensor is AFTER the cooler(s).. you could see a significantly lower temp.. after prolonged idle, in Cold weather. Outside, ambient air temps would have an effect..... So Yes & Yes.

(I have Trans Temp gauge on my 6 speed.. it will drop to it's lowest (100*)reading, after 5 minutes or so, in Cold weather)

Joe

Last edited:

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the trans sending unit is after the cooler-I didnt know about the "test plug" on the driver's side till a little while ago...as a result the trans temp is very sensitive to cold OATs. Pulled 3 big saddle horses (the only kind:sly) over the summit last week. Temp was about 40, trans temp never got above 150.

Can the trans fluid get bad from not heating, like the oil can?? :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the trans fluid get bad from not heating, like the oil can?? :dunno

Don't know if ATF could go "BAD" (degrade) on ya, but you sure can bet things like Seals, O rings, clutch packs and valve bodies can take a dump.... if you work it to hard.. before the ATF (any hyd. fluid) warms up some... in Cold, Cold weather.

Don't ask me how I know that..:sly;):D:lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58