stupid question...

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
i kno this is stupid, but does anyone know wut would happen if u tried to use 2 plug it programmers at once?? would the second one detect the first one right away? or save it as stock setting???

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
96EDGEpsd said:
i kno this is stupid, but does anyone know wut would happen if u tried to use 2 plug it programmers at once?? would the second one detect the first one right away? or save it as stock setting???
What advantage are you expecting? :dunno The way programmers work is to swap 1 program for another. I don't think you can piggyback programs. I don't really know what would happen if you tried but it sounds like a lot of trouble with no gain. I guess it could work if you returned to the stock program before switching programmers.

Mike

bonestroker

stroke it if you got it
Reaction score
Glassdude said:
What advantage are you expecting? :dunno The way programmers work is to swap 1 program for another. I don't think you can piggyback programs. I don't really know what would happen if you tried but it sounds like a lot of trouble with no gain. I guess it could work if you returned to the stock program before switching programmers.

Mike
IF IT IS ALL THE EEDGE SYSTEM YOU SHOULD 'ED HAVE A PROBLE THAT IS JUST WHAT I'VE READ :confused: :sorry

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some can and do "stack" tunes when they are looking for that last 1% of power, whatever....

Many have discovered that some do not play well with others...

Up to you to do what you want to do, after all it IS your truck :)

but I've never noticed a 1% gain on anything - so I've not pushed the envelope enough to chance a problem with my daily driver :)

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on your '96 it's not going to work right the 2nd programmer will pull the program from the first and save it as a stock program.

The 6.0 guys can "stack" boxes we can't with the early trucks.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Two tuners are asking for trouble. Not real sure what would happen, but I am sure I don't want to see what could happen. Now a Tuner and a "Box" like SP, Edge, or a 10K mod is another story. That WILL work.

rtxcoon

She Smokes a little!!!
Reaction score
if your after more power, throw away the tuner and call Tony Wildman

but the best you'll ever get out of it might be 220-230 rwhp...with the
tiny stock injectors....

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
96EDGEpsd said:

As best i can tell, here is what would happen. You would download the program from tuner #1, with the following things happening:

- The tuner would pull the stock program off of your computer and store it in memory, then download it's custom program onto your PCM.

Then you plug in tuner #2 and the following things happen:

- THe tuner would pull the Tuner #1 program off of your PCM, thinking it is the stock program, and save it to memory. Then it would download ITS program onto your PCM.

Net result? You have tuner #2's info and tuner #2's info ONLY on your PCM, so you just wasted your time.

When people refer to "stacking", which (I think) is what you are asking about, they are refering to using a "box" and programmer at the same time. With your truck, the only choices I am aware of for a "box" are the Edge EZ and MAYBE the J/A, but I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. These plug in under your hood and adjust parameters from sensors to the PCM. NOW, you can add a tuner programmer, and it will add power on top of your box.

As far as using two "boxes", which i now realize that this may be what your question really is, since they all do the same thing, it would be repetitive and non-beneficial, as the following is likely to occur...

Since most underhood "boxes" control ICP signal, all they do is adjust the signal being sent to the PCM, so the PCM adjusts for conditions that really do not exist, and raises IC pressure. If you had two of them, what you would end up with is the first one "lying" tot he PCM, and the second one getting the "false" signal, and doing one of two things with it.

First, it realizes that the signal is within it's acceptale parameters and does nothing with it, with no perceptable advantage at all.

Second, it figures it'll boost the signal anyway, and ends up throwing the signal WAY out of the PCM's parameters, sets a code, and probably defuels the engine, and puts it into "limp" mode.

You can stack box and tuner, but not tuner/tuner or box/box. Just the way she works...

stachiestach

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would look into getting the edge juice & attitude. A buddy who i work with runs the edge evo with the j&a and he loves it. He usually runs his evo on level 2 or 3 and if he needs that little bit more he will adjust the levels on his j&a. Oh by the way he has a 2000 7.3 excursion.
Steve

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
96EDGEpsd said:

As already stated, the second programer would simply save the first ones program and use its own.

On the OBS trucks, the ONLY thing that you can stack is the 10k mod, be it home made or otherwise, that said, if you get a custom burned chip, you will not need the 10k mod, because the chip will perform the same function.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14