Stupid rear pinion seal

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay last week the rear pinion seal was leaking a lot on my Dad's truck so I did some research and changed it out. Not that hard of a job. From what some have said the major leak comes from the vent tube being clogged, okay I cleaned it and the axle vent. He put roughly 400 miles on it. Know he says it's leaking again. Any suggestions on why it's leaking and how I can fix it? Thanks

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
ditto on the yoke....that is what was exactly happening to mine.....a 'shop' fixed it once, still leaked, took it back - fixed it again, still leaked, took it back said he was gonna refund my $$$ and told me to go to 'ford'....ford had to 'speedy sleave' the rear end cuz it was grooved/scuffed up/wore down/sanded/ too bad....i don't know if that is something you can do----may need to go in???????????????

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Some pinion seals come with a speedy sleeve, just have to ask at the parts house. It's just a thin metal sleeve that you press onto the yoke to cover up the grove that gets worn into the yoke by the old seal.
Not to difficult, but will require you to do another tear down. sometimes you can't really tell if there is a grove there, but i would put the sleeve in it anyway just to be safe, you've already tried it without.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the yoke and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but you never know. Thanks for the help I'll look into it.

Last edited:

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do I'm going to check into that sleave, if it is actually leaking. I just got back in town and haven't seen the truck yet. Dad said he saw a puddle Thursday morning and ended up driving 300 miles and didn't see a puddle until today. :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58