Help Needed Stupid Up Pipe Gaskets

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am really tired of hearing the boost leak and only making 10 PSI so I decided to change the up pipe gaskets. What size are the bolts first off. 7/16 is to big, 3/8 is to small and 10mm is about right but still wiggles. One of the bolts is almost round and I haven't even started. Guess that was before hand.

I don't think they put any anti-cease on because the one bolt I tried to remove I could barely move. How in the world do you get to the bolt on the passenger side on the bottom. Do I need to remove the pedestal? Wish I had the funds to buy the DI up pipes and not worry about this any more.

Thanks for the help

JRJ04

Reaction score
are you talking about the boots that are attached to the intake spyder? if so, those are just hose clamps.

If not, I would spray some penetrating oil on everything and let it sit for a while.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I am talking about the gaskets at the y-collector behind the turbo. They are notorious for leaking. Should have just paid ford to do it. The up pipes.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for future reference, I seen that Bean's Diesel has brass up pipe gaskets to replace the factory gaskets. I think mine will get a set whenever the tranny has to come out for a clutch. Mine are not leaking, yet. Good luck with the bolts.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I would have seen them before. Thought I had seen some but couldn't remember were.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Friend of mine up in Keller has been looking for a way to replace the up-pipe gaskets on his 02 Excursion but he just can't do it and also is tired of the boost loss and lousy mileage. He's soaked em with penetrating oil but they won't break loose:rant Anybody had success in replacing theirs without having a shop do it?

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I would have had David at DI install new up pipes when I had the tranny done.:doh:

Ok done for the night. Here is what all has gone on today. I have the up pipes completely out of the truck now. Got the pass side loose and gasket was bad but not were the main leak was coming from. Driver side I have found both bolts rounded.

Driver side is covered in soot but just can not get the bolts loose at all. Don't know what other tool to try and use now.

Still not put back together. Took me 4 hrs to get the 2 bolts off the driver side. Both were cross threaded into the holes and one of the bolts had a small bend to it.

This is a major PITA. Once I got the up pipe completely off the truck the pipe just fell off the y collector. This has to be the worse design I have ever seen. How in the He!! does it even hold a seal?

Guess I'll be back at it again tomorrow morning to hopefully finish up or just buy some new up pipes. ( I wish)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
heat is a pretty nice way to get stuff loose..

I looked at these when I had my turbo off a week ago, and went "I'll change them when they need changing.. not a minute before"

dman that didn't look like any fun...

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got gaskets changed now trying to to put everything back together. Should be done shortly.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after doing my donuts 3 times I finally went to IH and got bellowed up pipes...it has a gasket with a bellow rather then a donuts..3 years now and still no sign of any leaks..I even painted them orange with ceramic paint just to make easy to see soot..just click on the pic and see the album..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58