Successful caribou hunt, pics and story included!

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Last Wednesday (the 30th), my dad, brother, an old family friend, and I drove up the Dalton Highway with my diesel pulling my brothers brand spanking new Sea Ark Predator w/ a 200hp Mercury Optimax. The drive was around 420 miles with only two gas stations in between. We drove to Coldfoot, and filled up there ($5.90 a gallon, yeech). We headed north about 50 miles south of Prudhoe Bay and offloaded the gear and boat, and headed south on the Sagavanoktik River. We turned up the Ivishak River and set up camp there. Next morning, we drove up the Echooka River and saw a grizzly crossing the stream ahead of us, a few caribou here and there, but nothing else. We headed back to camp, grabbed a bite to eat, and ran up the Ivishak about 15 miles or so. We saw a herd of caribou on the hillside and noticed some huge antlered bulls. My dad, brother and I walked around the hillside (about 3 miles) and snuck up on them from the east. All three of us had to belly crawl about 100 yards to sneak up on them since they were bedded down. I lined up on the caribou and took two shoots, successfully slingly lead directly OVER his back. My dad had a better shot on him, so he took him down. I moved over to another bull, and dropped him no problem (still don't know how I missed the first one :confused:). Unfortuneately, he fell backwards and busted off one of the forks, in the picture where my had is, I'm holding it together and that's where all the blood on the antler came from. We field dressed both of 'em, and packed the meat back to the boat (about a mile and a half now since we could walk straight to the boat). My brother and I went back for the antlers after the meat was at the boat. The next day, Glenn shot a small bull, and the morning after that, my bro shot a small bull as well. We headed out that same day. My brother caught a small case of hypothermia from driving the boat in winter like conditions, so when we finally parked the boat, I ran up and grabbed my truck and blasted down to the beach, threw on the seat warmers, and chucked him inside with the heater blasting. He warmed up pretty quick, so we tried to load the boat on the trailer and I managed to get my truck stuck pretty bad, pretty much layed frame on the gravel in the river when the tires dug there own holes. I completely ruined my stock rims, the rocks tumbled around them when they were spinning. I busted the valve stem off one of them, but there was enough air in there to make it out and change the tire. Got everything loaded and headed south, pulled into Fairbanks around 3am. All in all, a great hunt!

Jon__Jerry_Jons_Bou_07-30-08.jpg

Mike__Jon_Mikes_Bou_07-30-08.jpg

Two_Predators_08-01-08.jpg

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
dude, you guys suck.

:sweet for you

:sweet for your Dad

:sweet for your brother

:sweet for the old friend

couple of nice double-shovels

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Awesome pics Alaskan.

I would love to go to AK one day.
(so I can sneek around and boost Crummy for the drive back home) :sly

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Why are they wearing coats in July............ :dunno:D:D

Nice harvest. :sweet

Tbar

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! I got the cape to the taxidermist, and the antlers to another one to preserve the velvet. They said they can repair the broken antler, so I'm really happy about that! I drove my truck through the car wash and had it detailed yesterday, just before it rained. Oh well, the Dalton Highway paintjob HAD to go. I'm going to clean up my 20" rims, and take them and the flat tire to a tire shop here in town and have them balanced and mounted sometime this week.

Why are they wearing coats in July............ :dunno:D:D

Nice harvest. :sweet

Tbar

'Cause it was 35 - 40 degrees, and on Thursday, it actually snowed on us! When we drove back through Atigan Pass, we drove through a pretty good snowstorm, yup, in AUGUST :dizzy! Man, I love Alaska! I know it can't be seen in the pictures, but my hat reads "Powerstroke Diesel".

Thanks for the Thanks, CHP!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Great story and nice pics, congrats on dropping meat for the freezer as well.

Thanks for sharing.

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what you dont like your truck looking like this?
107377110.jpg

nice kills for sure.

Ohhh, two tone brown and red. I had a serious brown and blue going on there, didn't get a picture of it though. It rained and snowed pretty hard until the Yukon River, then whoever it was, in there infinite wisdow, decided to water the roads, talk about a slop fest. At one point, the rear of the truck (with all the weight in the bed and the boat trailer in tow) broke loose from me and we started a controlled slide around one of the corners. After years of driving on ice and snow, no problemo, actually hung on to it for a second before I snapped her back in line. Somehow, my dad, who was in the back seat, didn't appreciate my skillz :dunno:D.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58