Successful caribou hunt, pics and story included!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
About 50 miles south of Prudhoe Bay and offloaded the gear and boat, and headed south on the Sagavanoktik River.

:doh: I should have said hi. I believe it was last Thursday I saw your truck sitting next to the gravel pit at the landing and I thought "what a nice truck to have up here in this mud-hole". Then once again on Saturday I saw your truck as I pulled in to the pit for a snooze. I figured you guys were up river somewhere killing a big one. When I woke up Saturday afternoon the truck was gone but as I drove away I saw you down on the beach loading up. I started to back up and come see how you did. Sounds like you could have used a pull, hope you weren't trying to flag me down as I drove off :eek: I sleep in that pit two or three times a week as it is nice a quiet away from the road:D You didn't get any mud in that new Predator did you? I have a Extreme Shallow but so far can't bring myself to dragging it up the haul road...Someday though.

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:doh: I should have said hi. I believe it was last Thursday I saw your truck sitting next to the gravel pit at the landing and I thought "what a nice truck to have up here in this mud-hole". Then once again on Saturday I saw your truck as I pulled in to the pit for a snooze. I figured you guys were up river somewhere killing a big one. When I woke up Saturday afternoon the truck was gone but as I drove away I saw you down on the beach loading up. I started to back up and come see how you did. Sounds like you could have used a pull, hope you weren't trying to flag me down as I drove off :eek: I sleep in that pit two or three times a week as it is nice a quiet away from the road:D You didn't get any mud in that new Predator did you? I have a Extreme Shallow but so far can't bring myself to dragging it up the haul road...Someday though.

You should have come down and said HI! We're all about braggin' rights, we would have told you the whole detailed story. What were you driving? I remember seeing a truck up that direction (a white superduty ext cab with a rack over the bed), but I don't remember seeing Crummy (probably a company truck, I'm assuming). There was another hunting party in a green ext cab GMC with a camper that helped us out. Yeah, I had reservations about taking her up there, but after driving around F350 XL's up in Prudhoe, I knew mine would make it. And, man, was it a comfortable drive! Nice and comfy, towed my brother's Predator like it wasn't even there, even with a few hundred pounds of meat and gear in the bed. You're Extreme Shallow would do well up there, but it'll take a beating going up the Haul Road. My brother's Predator was caked in mud and the trailer lost one of its brake lights and most of the other lights were destroyed by rocks. The boat and trailer are only about two months old!

Last edited:

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hows dem backstraps?

Oh, man, they were goooooooood. The day we shot the bulls, we took some of the backstrap and fried it up in camp, it was so tender, we were cutting it with plastic forks. We just finished dinner my wife cooked, caribou roast coated in steak dust, minced garlic, salt and pepper, then she threw in some carrots, onions, and potatoes into the pot and cooked it all in mushroom soup. WOW! I love that woman! :sly

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
What were you driving?
A green and white Peterbilt. When you "ran up and grabbed my truck and blasted down to the beach" I was snoozing next to the big gravel pile about 30 yards away. You were parked on the little side road where the state had there water pump right?

You're Extreme Shallow would do well up there, but it'll take a beating going up the Haul Road. My brother's Predator was caked in mud and the trailer lost one of its brake lights and most of the other lights were destroyed by rocks.
Thats why mine hasn't been there. I had plans of a Yukon trip this year for some Pike fishing but then it started raining and has not stopped as you know :doh:

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A green and white Peterbilt. When you "ran up and grabbed my truck and blasted down to the beach" I was snoozing next to the big gravel pile about 30 yards away. You were parked on the little side road where the state had there water pump right?

Yup, that's where I parked. I tried to pull off the side as much as possible so you big guys could get by. I do remember seeing your rig up there. There was a rig pulling a water tank parked next to the pump shack when we showed up on Wednesday night, and on Saturday, it wasn't there anymore.

Did you happen to pass the huge module they were truckin' up north? They had the front truck with the trailer, then another truck bolted to the rear of the trailer with what looked like the proverbial 10' pole, then a few pusher trucks behind him. Man, was that impressive.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Did you happen to pass the huge module they were truckin' up north?
Yeah they do that all the time. I think that mod weighed around 277,000 plus the weight of the trailer, trucks and push blocks so it was probably a little over 500,000 lbs rolling down the road. They are a bit of a traffic hazard at 24 feet wide. I waited on that one for 40 minutes which is a short wait compared to some. 24' wide load on a 24' wide road doesn't leave much room for oncoming traffic, southbound traffic has to wait in pullouts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58