super duty downpipe on my '95??

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i have a friend who has a '99 psd and he is buying a 4" turbo back exhaust system this next week. he told me that if his stock downpipe will work on my truck then i could have it and so i was automatically like, "SAWEEEETTT!!!!!". my question is.. will the super duty stock downpipe bolt up properly to my turbo and are the bends in the pipe correct for my truck? if i have to then i will cut off the part of my stock dp that bolts to the turbo and weld it to the super duty downpipe so that it will bolt up. thanks for any help!!!!:notworthy

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
I would bet that you could make it work if it wasn't a direct bolt up. You may have to beat the firewall some to get it to clear.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You may be able to make it work but I bet it will take some cutting, bending and welding. Diesel Performance parts sells a very affordable pipe that will bolt right up much better than a homemade one.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
well the way i look at it... you can't beat free. i will look try to measure the distance between bolts and all that stuff and try to figure out if this will work. i think that it should work, but i might have to weld the part of my stock dp that bolts to the charger to the super duty pipe to make it work.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
If it does not fit I MAY have a free '94-'97 downpipe for you. Just pay for the shipping. I had a DPPI downpipe for years but when I won the exhaust in the essay contest earlier this year it came with a new one that I had changed out. I gave the old downpipe to a friend with a '97 but I don't think he will have it installed. It has been sitting at his house for months. So let me know if yours won't fit and I'll ask my friend what his intentions are with my old one.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
awesome!!! we will try to figure it out today, but it would be a lot easier if we was actually trying to put it on instead of just looking and figuring. i'm going to take my truck to auto tech class today and measure the bolt patterns on mine and his.

hheynow, is the dppi downpipe bigger than the super duty pipe? heck i may take you up on that offer b/c we might have to cut his downpipe in order to get it out. plus installation would be a ton easier. thanks a ton guys!:thumbs

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow, is the dppi downpipe bigger than the super duty pipe? heck i may take you up on that offer

Just to let you know. Yes the DP from DPPI is bigger then the factory DP. Major difference. I had a guy buy one from my and then wanted me to install it for him on his 96. Which I did. Getting the old DP out was the hardest part but then once it is out just take a malet (I used a crowbar) to bend up the firewall right were it meets and the floor board. Just a couple of bends and the DP went right in. When the owner came and picked the truck up he said that he loved the power diffence and before he could never hear the Turbo. Now it just sings going down the road. Never had black smoke come out now you can see all the years of built up soot come out. Let my know if you have any question about removing the old DP. If you cut at the bottom of the DP and then cut the cobra head off, the DP will fall out the bottom.

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4" SD downpipe on my truck and honestly, I think the SD engine sits just a bit higher than the OBS engines relative to the trans crossmember. I have clearance issues there.

I will be pulling the pipe here in a while and shortening it about 1 inch so that it clears the crossmember better.

I am thinking that the stock SD downpipe will not fit easily.

Last edited:

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
so is this something that i can make work? i mean we have to take it off of his truck, so we might have to end up cutting it in order to get it out. that worries me a little bit, but i can weld that back up. thanks guys for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58