Superduty Gasser

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a friend that has a line on a really good deal on a Superduty V10 and asked for my help in checking it out since he isn't mechanically inclined. Since I've been a loyal diesel fan for many years now I have no experience with the V10. Anybody have any pros or cons on the performance and longevity potential of this engine? Or know of another forum that specializes in the gasser version of our trucks? Thanks. :D

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had heard about the terrible mpgs and warned him already on that one. Supposedly about 8-10 mpg towing, maybe 12-14 empty? Did the V10 use the same 4R100 tranny? This is a 2002. If he ends up passing on this one, I think I can convince him to get a late 7.3L. :D

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Randy,

From what I have found online there are a few V-10 owners lurking over on The Diesel Stop. I know one guy over there just bought an 09 V-10 F-550 for his towing and recovery company because he had a 6.0 that he was constantly getting fixed while another of his near identical F-550 V-10's had one issue after 100,000 miles and it was only an ignition coil pack.
I think the V-10 is a good engine and makes good power in the right application. It is very quiet and smooth. Does it drink gas, sure, but look how much power it's making and it is a less expensive alternative to a diesel engine. It just depends on how you want to spend your money. That's my:2c Hope it helps.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it applies to the V-10's but the 5.4's have had a history of blowing spark plugs out of the head. I would figure it would apply to the V-10 as well since it is essentially the same block with two extra cylinders.
my brothers truck (5.4) blew one out but it was an easy fix and it happened at 100,000 or so miles.
I have noticed that the a set of duals don't sound nearly as good on a V-10 as a V-8 for some reason.
It is a powerful engine.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I did find some threads last night about the spark plug threads on the V10 and one of my guys at work blew one out of his F150 too. Otherwise, seems to have a pretty good rep. I've heard good things about the power. My friend is planning on using it to tow a two-horse trailer once in a while and otherwise just general small loads. The truck he's looking at has a lot of miles (170K) but for the price he's thinking it might be worth the risk.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
we have a v10 in the race hauler (a.k.a. mom 'n' dads RV) and also my uncles have a construction truck that is a v10.

THE GOOD:
-both have been tremendously reliable.
-our camper gets about 8mpg, and thats a 30' box. uncles get about 12mpg towing HEAVY bumper pull.
-plenty of power, 325hp (i think?).
-when the truck is empty it has plenty of pep with light throttle applications, wich is great for mileage.

THE BAD:
-this hasnt happened to either v10s in my family, however there is a not-so-common issue with the oil cooler leaking. check for oil in coolant and coolant in oil.
-it is just like the other modular motors from ford....the plugs can blow. dont be scared, its not a big deal, but if you hear a ticking noise, its probably not an exhaust leak! one of those suckers is about to POP. its recomended to torque the plugs periodically (some say every oil change, i think thats WAY overkill, i check ours once a year.)
-idle air control valves on these engines stick after some time. the engine will start and immediately die unless you hold the throttle open a little. easy fix is to take the IAC off and clean it, then soak it in marvel or kerosene for a bit. did this on my wifes mustang a month ago, so far looking good. if it needs to be replaced its around $140.
-plastic intake manifold/coolant crossover tubes. i forget the years that had this problem, but depending on the year there may be a coolant transfer tube molded in the intake manifold, they tend to crack and leak. there was a tsb i believe, you may be able to find it.
-thermostat housining leaks at the manifold. nothing major, 2 bolts and a ringy-o.
-FUEL FILTER FUEL FILTER FUEL FILTER!!! this engine can demand fuel and the filter is a weak point in the fuel system. keep her clean!
-COP's (coil over plug) tend to fail on the mod motors, i replaced on on the mustang not too long ago. usually a failed COP will show up at a certain temp, my wifes car would run great until it got hot, then it would have an intermittant misfire. run the engine cold through hot, you will hear it if its dropping a cylinder.

OTHER NOTES:
-dont be afraid to let these engines REV! they were designed to, and up high is where they get the power. its not going to grenade (although for a diesel guy, it will scare you!).
-many people install a vacuum guage and for best mpg's try to keep it below (numerically higher) than 10 in/hg. its slow off from a red light, but saves a ton of fuel if you arent in a rush.
-gear low! (numerically high) you dont want 3.55 in a v10, its not going to like it and will suck down the fuel. the rev happy nature of the engine responds very well to 4.10 or lower axle ratio, ESPECIALLY if you want to run bigger tires.
-more mpg/power stuff: EBAY headers and y-pipe. the stock y-pipe is stoo-pid and there is a no-name ebay y-pipe that everybody swears by. i havent done it to ours yet, but its in the plans.

thats all i can think of for now :D

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great details Zookie. I'll pass this on to my friend. I think we're going to check out this truck on Saturday. ;tu

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The V-10 in my motorhome has the same experience:

It's blown several plugs. I was told it was because it was torqued too tightly and also was told to ONLY use Motorcraft spark plugs (other brands can throw error codes).

I've also replaced several coils.

It's a 36' motorhizzle and I average 8-10 MPG no matter the load, no matter how many folks, and it makes no difference if I'm towing a trailer or not.

Otherwise it moves that big bus around pretty impressively.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58