Suspension/steering damper?

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this being factory installed on the Excursion? I took my Excursion in to the dealer today to see if they would replace my steering box and ball joints because of the wandering problem I'm having. First of all, they said there was no problem. Then I had a Master Tech tell me the diesel Excursions had a damper installed because of the additional weight of the diesel engine. :confused:

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do have one installed from the factory. I had one, but I swaped it out for a new one. It has nothing to do with the diesel, I have a gasser and it had one from the factory.

It wont fix the wandering problem, if you look up Landyot radius rods, they will cure the wandering.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i believe the damper/stabilizer you refere are one in the same. looks like a shock attached to the steering linkage and axle or frame sort of dampens oscillations and helps to stabilize steering wheel oscillations when you hit a bump or to.;)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
spindrift said:
W're not talking about the steering stabilizer, right? If not, where's this damper located?
Most if not all 4x4 Excursions came with the small stabilizer from KTP.
I upgraded to the ES2000 which is installed in the factory location.See photo;

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford "Master Tech" told me that the reason I don't have steering returnability as I am used to in other vehicles is due to the stabilizer. What a wing nut!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't get on your Master Tech so fast. My truck did not return to center when it was new, and it was the stabilizer. I unhooked it to find out.

Dave

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Don't get on your Master Tech so fast. My truck did not return to center when it was new, and it was the stabilizer. I unhooked it to find out.

Dave

Sorry...I absolutely will get on him. Problems with the Excursion are well documented. In fact, there was a TSB in 2001 that attempted to correct the problem. I have a wandering and poor returnability problem. I took the tech, and the service manager, for a test drive and showed them first hand the symptoms I was describing. I've driven long enough, and driven many different kinds of vehicles to know when a problem exists. My concerns were summarily dismissed by both individuals. I challenged them to take me for a ride in another vehicle on the lot that reacted in the same manner. No takers. Then, to claim the symptoms are normal due to the steering stabilizer? There are some dealers out there that simply don't get it. Their culture is that warranty work is to be avoided at all costs because it doesn't pay as much as standard repair rates. That does very little to generate customer loyalty. If they were simply willing to check the specs on critical components and provide the info to me, I would have been satisfied...and they would have done their job. I've just finished writing a letter to the President of the dealership letting him know about the poor customer service I received. And yes, I will sound cliche'. They've lost a customer and I'll tell everyone that asks to take their business elsewhere.

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Hey did you get your steering resolved.Imnot having a lot of faith in my dealer and would rather resolve on my own as well.I have air bags in the rear.But dont know which mod to go to next to help cure it.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
mille-ryan said:
Hey did you get your steering resolved.Imnot having a lot of faith in my dealer and would rather resolve on my own as well.I have air bags in the rear.But dont know which mod to go to next to help cure it.
The Edge adjustable track bar that was recently installed on our Excursion ridded the steering wheel of an annoying shake and it also returns to center alot better after a turn:sweet

The stock rubber bushings on the factory track bar went bad which was causing most of the front suspension issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14