Swaping motor to a new cab

Sport250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for helping me get my truck running. It is now running great and very reliable.

I am about to swap the motor and complete wiring out of the 95 reg cab long bed to a crew cab short bed I have pieced together. What is the easiest way to remove the motor while unplugging the the least connections? Any suggestions of how to make this job faster and easier. I already plan to remove the front clip before removing the motor.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
least plugs..

there is a main engine plug going from the engine to the driver's side inner fender that will allow you to remove the engine, the question is do you need the body side of the harness too or just the engine (was the new cab a diesel cab to start with?) other than that just disconnect your battery cables, vac hose, & powersteering.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Are both vehs Diesel to start with?
There is no real need to remove the front clip, once engine is up, start to spin it side ways and it will come out fine.
Rick H...

Sport250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes both cabs are diesels. The reg cab is a 94.5 and the cc is a 97. Yes I will need the body harness as well. The cc I purchased was striped of wiring and dash. I will be using the front clip from the reg cab anyways on the ccsb. I also plan to remove motor while still being connected to the manual tranny. Any suggestions?

This project started as a 82 super cab long bed that had been restored by me,family, and friends about 7 years ago. This truck was given to me by my grandfather , so I promised my self to always keep it in the family. After getting bored of this truck after buying my superduty I decided I wanted to make it a ccsb MY DREAM TRUCK.

So far I fitted the cc and short bed on the frame changed the wheelbase and made a custom rear bumper to make up for the difference. I also fitted 03 superduty front and rear axles with a 4 link coilover conversion in the front. I was getting real close to being done with this project but found a steal on this psd with 110,000 miles. A lot of work to swap this motor in over my semi new 350 hp built widsor but it should be worth it in the end for the reliability.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow sounds like a good bit of work you have done. Good luck with the swap out

Sport250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay guys got the front clip on, motor in, dash in, wiring in,rear tank in, and fuel lines connected.
I got the truck started but it turned off shortly after. I think it turned off due to running out of fuel. The bowl is still about half way full though. When i first got it started I let it bleed the air out of the check valve by the fuel bowl. I only did this till fuel came out and stopped. Could this be to air still in the line coming from the tank? What is the best way to bleed the system? Whats the best way to get it restarted besides pull starting it( worked in the past great but i still dont have the drive shafts done)? Could it be because i don't have the front tank connected?

What would make the speed o stay maxed out at 85?
What should oil pressure read? When it was running at idle it was reading low ( a little above the red).

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speed staying at 85 = bad stepper motor on speedo = get new gauge cluster (most likely)

oil pressure gauge on the dash is a mechanical idiot light, stick a gauge on there and read real oil pressures (1/4" NPT bung on top of HPO Reservoir) temp even works fine.

I guess you are still running the OBS fuel system. The fuel bowl should never get as low as 1/2 full when running so fuel starvation is a likely issue.

I can say that when I changed my fuel pump I only needed to yank the IDM maxi-fuse under the hood and crank it over for about 30 seconds pop it back in and it fired up immediately. The OBS fuel system will purge itself of air rather quickly since it returns to the tank. If it keeps getting low then your fpr may be stuck in an open position or otherwise damaged. An easy trick for priming the fuel system is to slightly pressurize the fuel tank (I've seen this done through vent lines, return lines, and through modified fuel caps) just keep the pressure low below 10psi max. you just need to provide an escape at the top end of the system. such cracking the fuel drain or the filter lid.

Common places on the OBS fuel system to get air infiltration is on the suction side of the fuel selector switch, the pickup screen has fallen off in the tank.

Sport250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you
I will try these methods to get the truck re started.

What sensor gives the truck its speed reading (standard)?
What number is the idm max fuse?

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sensor gives the truck its speed reading (standard)?
What number is the idm max fuse?

The VSS sensor on top of the rear end pumpkin provided the signal for speed. The IDM maxi-fuse (30A) is either #8 or "H" depending on the diagram used (numerical or alphabetic). Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58