Swapping truck beds.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that needs a new bed for his 2002 super duty. There is a local place that builds custom ambulance and rescue bodies that is selling a couple brand new take off beds from 2009-2010 super duty trucks. Will these beds fit on the 2002? If so, would the body lines match up? The underside of his bed is really rusting from the road salt, and it may be cheaper to buy one of these beds than to have the body shop repair his bed. If anybody has any info about this kind of swap, I'm all ears. Thanks guys.

Fine69

Reaction score
The beds are a direct replacement. Wheel wells match perfect, bolt holes line up, etc. The wiring is different for the tail lights, and I believe you have to re-use the old bolts for the bed. I heard somewhere that the new trucks use bigger bed bolts.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the bed bolts size issue but you would be able to figure that out real quick. Yes the beds will work, just save the wiring harness that comes off the old bed and swap it over.

As an added bonus, maybe your friend will get a new bed with a new tailgate that has the step built in. All he has to do is swap his lock cylinder over to the new tailgate latch handle from the old latch handle.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
that is an $$ option not all have them

Yes I am aware of that, which is why I said MAYBE he could get one. I have seen a few take off beds sitting around that actually do have the tailgate with the step. I travel up in southeastern PA where the original poster is located and I do know there are quite a few independent dealerships and truck body companies in that area that sell take off beds and tailgates because there is a good demand for them.

A lot of trucks are built at the factory with the tailgate step because dealers are notified by Ford which options are most popular, and therefore recommend that dealers order trucks for their inventory with the popular options so they are more likely to sell. If a buyer comes in and finds his dream truck on the lot but wants a flatbed, utility bed, etc. the upfitter company installing the new bed takes the pickup bed off and and MAYBE the truck had a step tailgate with it. Now there's a truck bed and tailgate with step to be sold.....

My dad's '08 didn't come with a tailgate step but he just found one off an '09 in the correct color for $300 and he bought it from a guy who was replacing his truck bed with a utility bed.

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah! Gotcha!! I like the step but the handle ruins the work table function of the tailgate IMHO

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the market for a new bed, but just out of curiosity how much do they want for a bed?

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. The add just listed a couple Ford and a couple Dodge beds for sale. I wanted to know if it would fit before we checked into prices, and didn't get around to it yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58