Switching Oil on 7.3

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My dad was using AMS ATM 10w30. Since then I have purchased his truck and I'm thinking of switching to AME 15w30. Not sure, what does everone else run?? Do I really need AMS oil, rotella is a lot cheaper!

Last edited:

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotella will foam up badly in a powerstroke... the high oil pressure causes the oil to foam.... bad things happen then. stick with delo, ams, valvoline, and many other good ones.

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm I glad to hear from you TXASTUFF, I will tell my brother and dad in law, they both use rotella.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I've run Rotella in mine... never had a problem.

Currently, though, I'm running Valv 5W40 synthetic...

I wanted a synthetic, and the Kendall, which we use at work, doesn't make a synthetic diesel oil, even though they make two different ones...

so I bought the Valv through one of the parts suppliers

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
rotella has been in mine (255k now) never had a problem but im switching to synthetic now in everything as well in the new trans!

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use rotella in everything we have, d7h dozer, l785 skid steer, jd tractors, but not my ps. read way to many reports on problems it causes in the powerstrokes due to the high pressure oiling system. dotn want to even risk it. i even use it in our 92 7.3 non turbo farm truck but not the powerjoke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14