Switching oil

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what a great site

I have a 06 with 20,000 miles on it and at the present it I am useing Motorcraft 15w-40 oil and I was thinking of switching to 15w-40 synthetic oil, maybe Amsoil. When I was a Ford getting some things I asked if would be good to switch and they said yes but they have seen some cases of the motor starting to leak oil after the switch. To everyone that has switched over have you had any problems with oil leaks that you did not have before + I will be going with the Amsoil by-pass filter. Thanks

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
No I never noticed anything... I suppose it's possible, but thats what a warranty is for anyways. go for it ;)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been running syn oil for years and never noticed any leaks. Just the normal oil sweating around fittings that penetrate the vlave covers and the pan.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will be happy as soon as you start your truck after the oil switch. It will be quieter right off.

Dave :)

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I have been running syn oil for years and never noticed any leaks. Just the normal oil sweating around fittings that penetrate the vlave covers and the pan.

Dave
What is your syn. oil change interval Dave? What should he expect w/ the switch? I'm considering this myself. Do you bother with oil analysis? I'm using Blackstone, running Delo 400 and getting about 6,000+ miles before any significant shear breakdown.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 stroker

Still hearing the old synthetic will make your engine leak. Synthetic cleans your engine better than dino, so on an old engine with lots of sludge, and poor seals, the synthetic could clean the engine and make seals that were only weeping leak more due to the lack of a sludge seal. Your engine is new, and won't have these issues. Synthetic will protect your engine better on cold starts (where most of the engine wear occurs) and better when it gets hot, like when you are towing, your turbo will thank you, as well as the injectors. Don't buy into the extended drain story unless you run a bypass filter, which is a great investment for engine longevity, especially the injectors. If you do the extended drain route, oil analysis is critical.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are driving a junk pile, then it will leak with syn oil. My oil change interval is 5,000 miles between changes. I don't currently use Blackstone so I am sticking with the 5,000 mile interval. Blackstone will tell you how long you can go between oil/filter changes. I am running Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 oil.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl