Symptoms of bad/inadequate LPOP

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know our trucks had one of these till about 2 months ago. What are some of the symptoms of this part failing?

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low oil pressure, hard cold starts, stalling... You need to check the oil pressure to know much, anything from 25 to 75psi is normal.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
low oil pressure, when it's completely dead then you'll get an idiot light indication.

The oil pressure sending unit is on the HPOP reservoir on the passenger's side, hook a gauge up and see what it does.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. What do I need to hook up a gauge to it?...homemade doo-dad or something to buy? And should I test it under a load or idle?

My starts are about twice as long as my uncles 99 F250. I read on a forum somewhere that changing the lpop has worked for some on decreasing start time. I also looked on some auto parts sight for a lpop with no luck...maybe I'm just not searching right:dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would swing by the parts shack and buy a cheap electric gauge setup (this way you can run the wires under the hood through the door into the cab for a short term test rather easily. and pull power from the cig lighter.

The LPOP is integrated into the front timing cover and is actually a star shaped gear on the crankshaft, it reminds me of the front pump in an automatic transmission you can see it in the lower right of this picture
38.jpg

and here is a picture of the actual 7.3 LPOP
M208.jpg

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a mechanic....there will always be a problem. I hear so many stories about guys taking their trucks to the dealership and all they do is throw parts at it and still not fix it. I'd like to figure this stuff out to do in my back yard. Same reason why I change my own oil....its cheaper and I know the job was done the way I wanted it done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58