Tach not working

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My coworker picked up a 99.5 F250 Pretty decient shape for a 11 year old work truck. Only has 98000+ on her.

The tach has not worked since he bought it. My first though was the sensor in the rear diff, but that does the speed, not the tach. What do we need to look at for the tach? Everything else in the dash works fine.

Thanks

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong....hopefully someone that has experience with 'em will explain better. But I think there is a spring or a belt that works the tachometer.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The sensor in the rear end has nothing to do with the tachometer. The tach has electronic input, not mechanical.

I'm wondering more along the lines of a CPS.

What I'd do is hook an analyzer up and see if it is getting a RPM reading. If it is, it might be a bad tach gauge. If not, it might be a bad wire or a CPS.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
the sensor in the rear end has nothing to do with the tachometer. The tach has electronic input, not mechanical.

I'm wondering more along the lines of a cps.

What i'd do is hook an analyzer up and see if it is getting a rpm reading. If it is, it might be a bad tach gauge. If not, it might be a bad wire or a cps.

x2....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
here ya go..
tach is run by the gauge buffer

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member