take this job and shove it! im looking for a new career!

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i am getting more annoyed, sick 'n' tired, p-o'd, at the whole commercial diesel world, and my job is no longer fun for me. the pay isnt enough to cover the headaches and high blood pressure caused by the f-word a-word new boss. also, the new emmision standards, and extremely complex multiplexed electronic systems have become a dreaded PITA to work on, with no support from the manufacturers. basically i feel like DOODOO is rolling down two hills and im in the valley.

i have a bunch of friends who are production/manufacturing engineers for Covidien (formerly US Surgical). and they have turned me on to a few employment opportunities within their company, and while job searching else where i see a high demand for one in particular - CNC Machinist. it interests me, and seems to be right up my alley. there is a certification course (made up of 5 two month night classes) that starts in january at a local (for me) community college.

i guess im posting this to stir up any opinions, suggestions, alternative options, etc. that this very knowledgable group has to offer. thanks guys :D

dpantazis

Reaction score
zookie-

i feel your pain, different job, but same headaches. its the same all over the country.

you gotta ask, why is there such a demand for that position? is it high turnover or great demand?

CNC does not make a machinist. machining makes a machinist. i'm not saying that you can't learn it and do good at it, but most CNC guys are more 'operators' than machinists. they hit the green button, hit the red button, sweep up some chips, and they call themselves machinists.

poke around at Practical Machinist - manufacturing and machinist forum - home page . its where many trade guys hand out and chat/bicker. notice their gripes?

as far as coursework goes, you seem to be pretty sharp and technically minded. i think you'd do well.

are there any job retraining programs in your area? i might try to take advantage of those opportunities too- though you might need to be dismissed from your current position first.

dp

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
i am getting more annoyed, sick 'n' tired, p-o'd, at the whole commercial diesel world, and my job is no longer fun for me. the pay isnt enough to cover the headaches and high blood pressure caused by the f-word a-word new boss. also, the new emmision standards, and extremely complex multiplexed electronic systems have become a dreaded PITA to work on, with no support from the manufacturers. basically i feel like DOODOO is rolling down two hills and im in the valley.

i have a bunch of friends who are production/manufacturing engineers for Covidien (formerly US Surgical). and they have turned me on to a few employment opportunities within their company, and while job searching else where i see a high demand for one in particular - CNC Machinist. it interests me, and seems to be right up my alley. there is a certification course (made up of 5 two month night classes) that starts in january at a local (for me) community college.

i guess im posting this to stir up any opinions, suggestions, alternative options, etc. that this very knowledgable group has to offer. thanks guys :D

I know how ya feel, bro..
OSHA tighting up all the time
Corporate BS brought on by brainstoms like Six Sigma
and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements on businesses with stockholders
Secretary of State's office looking for a reason to fine us, because we're a corporate shop, and therefore we have deep pockets..

I can't tell someone their tie rod is loose enough it fell apart when we lifted the vehicle.. that's a "scare tactic"

I have to say, "while we were changing your oil, we discovered a piece of steering linkage that does not meet maufacturer specifications for wear. It will cost $130 to replace it, would you like me to do it now?"

Problem is, ever single other shop in town will say, "this tie rod is so bad it's dangerous for you to drive the car, it's $130 to replace it, and you need to do it before you put another mile on the car, or I'm calling you a wrecker to have it towed to your house. Thie car should NOT be driven." and get away with it.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
CNC does not make a machinist. machining makes a machinist. i'm not saying that you can't learn it and do good at it, but most CNC guys are more 'operators' than machinists. they hit the green button, hit the red button, sweep up some chips, and they call themselves machinists.

you are right about that. cnc is very broad, doesnt even have to apply to machining metal at all. i guess thats why i was looking into the cnc course rather than the machinist course. there are so many different mills, lathes, etc...i dont think a class can teach you the ins and outs of all of them. cad/cam/g-code is all the same from, just depends on what machine you apply it to. my thinking was that it would make me a more desireable candidate.

currently im trying to find ANY job within this company my friends work at, because they have tuition reimbursment programs, and they are very happy to hire from within the company rather than bring in another outsider.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you are right about that. cnc is very broad, doesnt even have to apply to machining metal at all. i guess thats why i was looking into the cnc course rather than the machinist course. there are so many different mills, lathes, etc....

Good point. Black Widow Bows went 100% CNC about 5 years ago.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dont think I could handle all the seat time running a boat load of the same parts day in and day out. HA HA

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

I'm right behind you.
I'm sick of the overstated pay, the understated length of off-season lay-off/time on unemployment, and exagerated number of weekends I could expect to be off.

I've got an interview tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58