Question Tansmission Temps

firechannel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a 99' f250 superduty 7.3 and when towing my travel trailer, the transmission temp is runs around 170-180 on the highway. My question is when I get to small towns or even the camp ground, the tranmission temp get around 225. I have heard about adding another tranmission cooler. Trans fluid is not burnt and pink and shifts fine. Ideas?? or don't worry.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
My threshold is to maintain the fluid temps at 200 or less,on the freeway or parked idling.

I have a BTS transmission installed with Shaeffers Synthetic fluid,6.0L trans cooler and a Hayden 679 cooler in front of the AC condensor.

I probably stay in the 185-190 overall average during the depth of Texas summer heat.

My recommendation is if you don't have an external cooler(not sure if the 99 came with one as standard or option) is to install one,it'll definitely help reduce the fluid temps and it's costs close to nothing when compared to a trans rebuild.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
You might want to look into a 6.0 cooler. This should knock down the around town temps.;tu

Early SD's didn't have a cooler in the radiator. They depend on a wimpy cooler in front of the radiator to do all the cooling. :eek:

You could add a TruCool cooler with the stock unit. it will be a big help.;tu

firechannel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I thought I was going nuts. Wait I am nuts. For Dave, The trans fluid is not burnt and nice and pink. My trans temp did get hotter in the rockies last summer. I also heard that the 6.0 cooler can bolt on the 7.3. Also was going to do a bigger cool air intake. Have you guys heard of a hood scoop that funnels cool air onto the turbo? Just throwing ideas out. Just got home from working a 24 hr shift and my mind is racing.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
A hood scoop that directs airflow back to the turbo I have not for the Diesels at least ;)

The 6.0 cooler does bolt right up :sweet

firechannel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good to know about the 6.0. Thanks again. Trip to the U.P.,(sorry, Upper *****ula for the non michiganders). Let you know what I decide to do and if it works.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
whoa 99 did not come with a trans cooler? Must be the early 99 then. I have mine and it stays steady 80* above ambient temp all the time when not towing and 100* above when towing all the time. Makes me want to go out and give them rads a hosing. :eek:

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
I have no idea what temp my trans runs (since I have a factory gauge indash that just lets me know when its either dying from overheating or frozen) and I don't know how reliable that gauge is either :dunno :lmao

Travis

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58