Tapping into Electrical Questions

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have got this really neat plan. I am going to add a bunch of different things to my rig, and all are going to be operated by switches. So what I am wanting to do is run power to one switch on the dash that will then power a series of switches under the dash. This is eliminates having so many fuses and taps going all over the place. My question is where does everyone tap into for electrical power. I would like to know one with the key on and one with out. I am running my radar detector to a switch (Illegal in VA) that will also shut off when key is off, so I dont forget to turn it off.
Thanks

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
I don't know about the dash, but I ran a wore to the Air Intake heater solenoid, its a good key on source. Its the one right next to the fuel bowl, and closer to the grill. if you want the dash, check the electrical diagram in a Chiltons manual.

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my gauges last night I realized there is the customer access wiring. There is a wire right there that is a key on hot. So that solved the problem. Thanks though

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have got this really neat plan. I am going to add a bunch of different things to my rig, and all are going to be operated by switches. So what I am wanting to do is run power to one switch on the dash that will then power a series of switches under the dash. This is eliminates having so many fuses and taps going all over the place. My question is where does everyone tap into for electrical power. I would like to know one with the key on and one with out. I am running my radar detector to a switch (Illegal in VA) that will also shut off when key is off, so I dont forget to turn it off.
Thanks

For a GOOD HOT <always on> wire ive tapped the back of the
power point/cig lighter.

but for what you wanna do you SHOULD run a heavy wire to the battery
and use a relay <for ignition on/off power>.

whered you get the idea to put the radar detector on a switch ;)

switches-2.jpg

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW,

A good key-on and accessory-on wire, use the pink wire from the back of the stereo and run it through a relay. I have used it for several things. Gotta love those relays! :sweet

Barrett

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always had my detector on a switch since about 2000 in my lowrider S-10. I live in VA and have a lead foot. It dont help that when the see the Military stickers on your vehicle they know they are getting paid so they are always pulling us. So I installed the switch so I can turn in off right away before they can detect it. I always tint the top portion of my windshield so it will hide the detector. I didnt steal the ideal from anyone, just something that I have always done to stay out of trouble. Mine is not nearly as good as bushpilots. That is some pimp stuff. I always wanted to do that, but didnt want to risk ruining my detector. Awesome job man.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey i didnt ruin my detector doing it...just some 40 dollar remote display...
and even the DASH bit can be replaced by the next owner (or my kids).

shame on those virginia cops...arseholes...cut no one any slack..and
most of them GOT their training in the service ! anymore the virginia guys
make maryland troopers look like NUNS !

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beleive me, when I seen yours detector I couldnt beleive that someone actually did it. I have been thinking about it for about 4 years now, just never thought I could actually do it. I may so ahead and do it some day. VA Cops suck. I seen some rookie cop beat some dudes head on the ground for no reason. Thats some b/s if you ask me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58