Question TBC code

Steve W

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I had a Tbc code pop up on my dash yesterday,any real concerns??I did pull up to a drive through kiosk and forgettingly shut my truck off in gear..but,restarted the truck and it never came on again..Should get it checked or just forget it??? Steve:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The engine check light will come on when there is a code stored in the computer. If it goes out soon after it came on (in key cycles) it is generally nothing to worry about, unless you notice driveability problems. Then you would need it to be scanned. I would not rely on an Auto Parts Store scanner to be able to read the codes our trucks generate. Ford uses the CAN communications system and that is not compatible with earlier code readers. Go to a dealer or local mechanic. They will be able too scan it.

Dave

Steve W

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tbc fault code

:dunnoThanks DaveBen,No like I said..I shut the truck off when I pulled up to the parking kiosk,when I went to start it again it read..TBC fault.Puzzled,I did a shut down and restart immeadiately..Needless to say,It never came back on.I drove the truck all day,starting and shutting off everywere we went,and it never happened again.So I wonder if it was due to shutting it down in gear.Thanks again for the input and will post again if it reappears.:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the term"TBC", what does it stand for? The only code related abbreviation I know is DTC for Diagnostic Trouble Code.

Dave :dunno

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
TBC= Trailer Brake Controller. It will show a fault if the system detects a faulty connection between the trailer pigtail and the truck's 7 pin connector. It will also occasionally give a false indication of a fault when there is no trailer connected.

A message center display of "Trailer Fault" is not a problem with the the Tow Command controller. If this message only displays with a trailer attached, the problem is with the trailer wiring. If it displays with no trailer, the fault lies in the vehicle harness between the Tow Command and the trailer connector.

My truck displays the TBC Fault a few times a year. It's momentary and clears on its own. Nothing to worry about from my experience. When I tow the system works perfectly.

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Reading on another forum, a person had a similar problem, in checking for loose grounds, he found the 7 pin connector was filled with water. He dried it out and sealed the end where the wires enter the connector and the problem was fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58