TDC or TBC fail?

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck won't start. The readout was either TDC or TBC fail. Basically, the starter turns but once I let off the starter, the engine turns a couple times, but really slowly and then it quits. HELP! PLEASE!

**My truck only has 50K miles on it and I had it tuned with my tuner, tried retuning back to stock and still nothing.

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im not a 6.0 guy, but i have heard of the tbc (trailer brake controller) fault coming up when there is a long crank to start and the battery voltage drops too low, and it actually isnt anything you need to worry about as far as getting the truck started.

have you tried connecting a battery charger and getting the batts to 100% before cranking it over? could be just tired batts, or it could be some failure in the high pressure oil circuit.

some 6.0 guys will probably have a better direction to look....

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried anything yet cause I had to leave it where it was. I don't know about the battery thing though cause the starter sounded like it was turning fine, but that is definitely something to try. Maybe it just wasn't getting enough of a turn to really get the engine going....I don't know, thats why I am asking the pros.

atk

Reaction score
possibly could be HPOP connector let go....there is a TSB for that....if it is leaking or broken it can`t build enough pressure for the engine to fire or run....hope this helps

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
50 K on the clock, if they are the original batteries and you have definite winter weather, I will bet the batteries are toast or the alternator isn't adequately charging. Check the batteries, and if they aren't up to snuff, replace both with new Motorcraft batteries.

I live in Florida, my batteries have 64 K, and they are beginning to show their age. I am getting the TBC fault occasionally, and has been stated earlier, low voltage will cause that fault to show.

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Went back to have a friend look at my truck today....it started. Almost normally, but with just a bit of hesitation. Then turned it off and started it again a few more times and a couple of times, it would start at a really low idle (maybe 400, maybe less) and work up until it was running normally. One time, after just driving it a ways, I turned it off and started it right away and it fired right up pretty much normally.

Anyone got any ideas?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Batteries or charging system are going south. The wife's van is exhibiting the same problems. We replaced the batteries and the positive clamps, but I still have an idiot light, but the voltage meter does move.

Meanwhile on my pickup, I get no trailer brakes. Fun fun fun. I'm so happy about the situation I could just make a steaming pile.:rant

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58