TECH: Rear sway bar (install)...worth it's weight in gold!!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
We did the shocks,springs and sway bar in the same week talk about an attitude change of a truck:cool:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
We did the shocks,springs and sway bar in the same week talk about an attitude change of a truck:cool:

So did I, but I replaced all my bushings with polyurethane. Since this post is about sway bars, my truck came with front and rear sway bars but the bushings were shot after 223K miles. The upgrade to polyurethane has made a world of difference in cornering, stability and handling. The new shocks are icing on the cake. :sweet

quietman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
levidropin.JPG

I have a 2005 that came equipped with front/rear swaybars. I replaced the shocks with bilsteins, very much needed, especially after lifting 4"

Something maybe not widely known about sway bars is that they are NOT desireable for off-road use where the suspension will be articulated. when one wheel moves up/down on uneven terrain the sway bars attempt to push/pull the body into alignment like on the street.

offroadpicsmall.jpg

You can buy detachable links, and some jeeps even come from the factory with quick disconnects on the sway bar(s).

In my case I like the fact that the rear sway bar does NOT have as much leverage as it could possibly have, like the hellwig. For what I do the factory swaybars are a good compromise, being very helpful on pavement, and not as detrimental off-road as the aftermarket ones.

So... if off-road "creepy crawly" performance is of little or no importance to you, go for the bigger sway bars with more mechanical advantage. If you 4-wheel, then mebbe think twice.

In either case BY FAR the biggest difference in stability and especially cornering performance on the street is to be had by installing Radius Rods. They are *amazing*:thumbs

My .02...

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the Bilstein part #'s for the 2005 Excursion 4wd. Who has them for the best price?

quietman said:
levidropin.JPG

I have a 2005 that came equipped with front/rear swaybars. I replaced the shocks with bilsteins, very much needed, especially after lifting 4"

Something maybe not widely known about sway bars is that they are NOT desireable for off-road use where the suspension will be articulated. when one wheel moves up/down on uneven terrain the sway bars attempt to push/pull the body into alignment like on the street.

offroadpicsmall.jpg

You can buy detachable links, and some jeeps even come from the factory with quick disconnects on the sway bar(s).

In my case I like the fact that the rear sway bar does NOT have as much leverage as it could possibly have, like the hellwig. For what I do the factory swaybars are a good compromise, being very helpful on pavement, and not as detrimental off-road as the aftermarket ones.

So... if off-road "creepy crawly" performance is of little or no importance to you, go for the bigger sway bars with more mechanical advantage. If you 4-wheel, then mebbe think twice.

In either case BY FAR the biggest difference in stability and especially cornering performance on the street is to be had by installing Radius Rods. They are *amazing*:thumbs

My .02...

AUG'SX

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What part #'s did you use with that 4" lift Quietman?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg