Tesla Motor Company

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
The EV-1 was always a "test " program with no expectation of mass production. All the units sold were on lease and had a maditory return at the end of the contract. The reason for crushing the units had to do with the proprietary components in the car that GM did not want to hit the masses. The cars were not designed for long term use and wouldn't have held up well to a lot of mileage.

Here's more...

The EV1 was the first modern production electric vehicle from a major automaker and also the first purpose-built electric car produced by General Motors (GM) in the United States.

Introduced in 1996, The EV1 electric cars were available in California and Arizona in a limited (3 year/30,000 mile) "lease only" agreement.[1] This was because the EV1 and its leasee were to be participants in a "real-world" engineering evaluation created by GM's Advanced Technology Vehicles group, as well as market analysis and study into the feasibility of producing and marketing a commuter electric vehicle in select U.S. markets.[2][3]

EV1s were marketed at first only in Los Angeles, CA and Phoenix/Tucson, AZ. Within a year, San Francisco and Sacramento CA followed; however, the optional 1999 model equipped with NiMH batteries was apparently never offered in Arizona because, at that early stage of its development, it performed very poorly in hot weather. A limited number of EV1s were apparently made available through a Southern Company employee lease program in Georgia. In accordance with the lease agreement the EV1 could only be serviced at designated Saturn retailers.

The EV1 was discontinued after 1999, with all examples subsequently removed from the roads in 2003 by General Motors and crushed, except for a select few kept for educational purposes or as museum pieces. The car's discontinuation remains controversial.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the more detailed info Diesel ;tu

"The cars discontinuation remains controversial" Huh.. :rolleyes::sly

We the People.. will probably.. never know.

(Rat exits, stage right, into the smoke, in front of the mirror) :lmao :lmao

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
i have dealt with a few mercedes sprinter vans that had a DC motors slipped between the engine and transmission, they worked great but the batteries took up a significant amount of cargo area.
:(
that sounds like that Eaton hybrid add-on unit.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i need to find an APU off a big truck, and make my own ford ranger hybrid. you all can be the beta testers :D

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They need to develop technology that will allow the electric vehicles go to at least 100 miles before recharging. That way, people like me who live 25 or more miles from work can drive one (if I wanted to) without worrying about running out of power while driving. If they can make them go 40 miles between charges (or 47 miles as in the new Ford Fusion Hybrid), then 100 miles shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, Tesla should be able to share their technology with the others in order to mass produce electric vehicles, which would reduce the price.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They need to develop technology that will allow the electric vehicles go to at least 100 miles before recharging. That way, people like me who live 25 or more miles from work can drive one (if I wanted to) without worrying about running out of power while driving. If they can make them go 40 miles between charges (or 47 miles as in the new Ford Fusion Hybrid), then 100 miles shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, Tesla should be able to share their technology with the others in order to mass produce electric vehicles, which would reduce the price.

X2

Another thing (for now)is the Speeds they can do, for any distance. Our City has a few of those G E M carts (not golf carts) for the Meter Readers. Parking Patrol and such.. They can only do about 15-20 mph, flat out, so the users have been instructed to stay off and out of, the Main street traffic. My neighbor is a city Public Works guy.. he says the G E M carts are very reliable and are working out very well. Fuel savings have been significant, maintenance is low. They use standard type Batts. But... He sez.. If ya need to git 'cross town, and are short on time (?) to make meeting or something ? we don't take a G E M cart.

I think Electro-motive Technology is coming to us private sector folks in the near future, the guy from Tesla seemed to bolster that.

Heck..I'd concider an Electric means of transpo, if the price was right.. and I could make it to Wally World, Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA... and back.. without sweat'n the "Remaining Voltage".:lmao:lmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58