test turbo boost

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
i had a guy test turbo boost on my truck and he said it was 4psi & that i needed a new turbo... I am not sure how he tested it, or if the max boost was 4psi. how do you test for boost? what reading should i get with truck @ idle? i will check wheel end play tonight. also, there is oil on the inside of the turbo inlet... probably from the ccv. should i be getting much oil from the ccv?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should get no boost at idle. the only way to test boost is to load the engine and make the turbo work. which means driving it or putting the truck on a dyno.

The oil in the inlet is normal from the CCV. To give you an idea of the level of oil mist going into the intake you can pull the oil cap off and see what comes out that hole while the engine is running, there will be less out of the oil fill port but a good representation of what the ccv will pull out.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
buy a $50 boost guage, "T" it into the map line and see what your boost is under load when accelerating. that will tell you what your wanting to know. mechanics can't just hook up a computer and tell you that kind of thing.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
is there a break in procedure for a new turbo or just install it and run it?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a break in procedure for a new turbo or just install it and run it?

some will tell you to keep the boost low for the first few 500-1000 miles before you run WOT and max boost especially on bushed turbos but I have yet to see failures or problems as a direct results of not following a break in period.

Did you replace your turbo?

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
in the process. got a 1.00 housing and new turbo. looking for a writeup on replacement. i cant get to all the bolts to remove it...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What made you decide the turbo was in fact bad? As to removing the bolts that hold the turbo in place, you can get to them all. I have removed the turbo off my 95 at one time, so you can do it. I never did make a write up on the procedure and wish I would have but I didnt have one when I tackled the job either. I think I did the job in under 8 hours total from the time I popped the hood to restart with a fresh turbo (I only rebuilt mine). Patience and small hands can be a plus.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
My boost maxed at 4PSI, and my compresser wheel had about 1/16" side play.... i wasnt sure if the turbo was rebuildable so i opted for a bebult turbo with 1.00 housing. my existing housing is stamped 1.10... is that stock?

i got the turbo out... what a PITA!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
For some reason I am thinking that 1.15 is stock but maybe 1.1 is the stock A/R, I actually dont recall of hearing of a 1.1 before? Ive slept once or twice since I fooled with my 7.3 so maybe I have forgotten.

The turbo is completely rebuildable and its really a simple task once you get it off the pedestal. It consists of a couple of brass thrust washers and thats about it.

You will notice much faster spools and better low end grunt with the 1.0 but in heavy hard long pulls you may see elevated EGTs with the 1.0 also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58