Testing My Antifreeze

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I spoke to a guy today who mentioned I should get my antifreeze tested for acid content. He said the acid damages the injecter liners and allows antifreeze into the oil. I'm not familiar with this.But I certainly don't mind getting it done. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.:D

guzzle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HTRDDSL said:
I spoke to a guy today who mentioned I should get my antifreeze tested for acid content. He said the acid damages the injecter liners and allows antifreeze into the oil. I'm not familiar with this.But I certainly don't mind getting it done. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.:D
I assume you are running the green coolant. You can get test strip kits from Napa, CarQuest and I think Auto Zone. Some have color charts on the bottle but if it comes with a separate comparison chart, pick up one of those too. Get some SCA treatment from Ford, test and add treatment. Run it for a day and test again. If you're running green, check it every oil change to be safe. The strips have a limited shelf life so it doesn't hurt to use them up.

Tennessee Titan

Eddie Henson
Reaction score
Or you could switch over to Evans coolant and not have to worry with SCA's anymore. A very worthwhile change for the better, IMHO but the coolant is a little pricey. Just my .02.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll get it tested for sure on my next oil change. In the meantime I'll check to see if I can get the test strips. I don't know who sells Evans coolant around but I'll ask around.

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though not solicited, I'm taking the liberty of telling you my opinion relative to coolant testing....it's something you should do, yourself. Considering that pinholes in your cylinder walls will immediately reconcile your 7.3 to expensive paperweight status, don't rely on anyone else to do it. FleetGuard test strips are also available at your local International/Navistar dealer. It's not a complicated process and you may find the following link helpful.

Coolant testing

Just Do It!!!

:thumbs

I plan to stop by my International dealer next week....pm your addy and I'll send you a couple of strips when I do....and an extra card if I can pick one up.

guzzle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HTRDDSL said:
...........I don't know who sells Evans coolant around but I'll ask around.
There is a total flush process that needs to be performed when changing from green to Evans. You can't simply drain the radiator and refill because mixing the two is more detrimental to your engine than doing nothing. Also, there is much debate on if the changeover should even be done. I have no opinion since my 02 came factory with the gold.

I agree with s d mills, get the test strips now and test it yourself regularly. Improperly maintained SCA levels in green coolant in a diesel is deadly.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
HTRDDSL said:

HTRD,

While checking the pH is certainly one of the steps in testing your coolant, you per se` arent checking for acid, rather you are checking the SCA level. The SCA level is a gauge of how much "secret additive" is still left in your coolant. The additive lays down a protective coating on the coolant system walls. No matter what, you have cavitation going on inside your system and this protective barrier that gets laid down is what cavitates off instead of your cylinder walls, which left unprotected long enough will lead to pinholes.

Get a test kit from either your Ford dealer or nearly any big truck shop and test it yourself. Its as simply as warm up engine, dip and compare colors. DCA-4 is what you want to add if you have a low reading. Vinegar can be added if pH levels are elevated.

Hope that helps clear some confusion.

Mike

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Sam, you have mail.

And thanks everyone. I'll try to locate some test strips on Monday and test it right away. :)

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just checked my truck and my coolant is gold color. Based on what guzzle said, do I still have to check it? I certainly don't mind if it's required. I plan to keep this truck a long time and I'm willing to do anything required to maintain it in good operating condition.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I think you can check it but it's not needed. It's the Extended Life Coolant with G05 rating that the OEM used and is supposed to be good for 100k I believe. How many miles on your truck?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14