Question The air dam under the front bumper

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the 2011 and it has the same bumper as a 08 and the air dam is about 6" long.

Fine69

Reaction score
I was looking at the 2011 and it has the same bumper as a 08 and the air dam is about 6" long.

Huh? Have you seen the 2 side by side? They look nowhere near the same. The 2011 has driving lights cut into the bumper.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have been more to the point. I was talking about the air dam mount.
Sorry

tbrown613

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As I remember, the longer air dam WITH the newer optional 3.55 gears was supposed to add 1.5 MPG or so. The theory is that the chassis components under the front of the truck created air turbulence, which hurt mileage.

The longer dam was std with the '08 job 2 and later, the shorter dam was on the job 1. I have a job one and bought the newer job 2 style. didn't notice any appreciable mileage gains, but mostly bought the new dam for looks. The 3.73's probably doesn't help with mileage either.

Tim

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would expect to see a 1.5 mpg difference with going from 3.73s to 3.55s alone without the air dam. And this assumes normal driving and stock tires. These trucks are so dirty in the airflow, I would be surprised to see the air dam do anything.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. and here all this time.. all I thought Air Dams were there for.. was to Create Negative Turbulence (a vortex).. to help draw hot air.. away from the engine & tranny.....

Interesting, to say the least. :coffee

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. and here all this time.. all I thought Air Dams were there for.. was to Create Negative Turbulence (a vortex).. to help draw hot air.. away from the engine & tranny.....

Interesting, to say the least. :coffee

Joe stop thinking like that, your making my head hurt.......:innocent

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe stop thinking like that, your making my head hurt.......:innocent

;):lmao...

Not trying to start a "Shock & Awe", or anything.. but I can't see where a 6, 8, 10" deflector, of any sort, could have any benefit toward MPG's on these things.. as far off the ground as they are.. Stock.. let alone Lifted.

Creating a Vortex, for air movement~heat dissipation: Yes

An Aerodynamic, Ground Effects, MPG gainer: :dunno

JMO guyz.. No Harm nor Foul intended.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You bring up an interesting point Joe. I never thought of the cooling effect of the air dam. Too bad we did not get together sooner to market this "new invention" the Aero Cooler.

Dave :D

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;):lmao...

Not trying to start a "Shock & Awe", or anything.. but I can't see where a 6, 8, 10" deflector, of any sort, could have any benefit toward MPG's on these things.. as far off the ground as they are.. Stock.. let alone Lifted.

Creating a Vortex, for air movement~heat dissipation: Yes

An Aerodynamic, Ground Effects, MPG gainer: :dunno

JMO guyz.. No Harm nor Foul intended.

Non taken.... I do know a guy that builds motors for two nascar driver and I see what he can find out. Could be interesting what he finds out..:coffee

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr