The Dreaded Chime

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought the truck a few days ago. '99 F250 7.3L. I still have that stupid chime. It decides to start dinging at random. At idle. While driving. Anytime.

I have NO lights coming on. When going down the road, and I un-buckle, is the seatbelt light supposed to come on? (It doesn't). I'm starting to think something is disconnected. I just noticed that it was a bit low on coolant today .... and didn't get a light .... so that's why I'm thinking something may be diconnected.

Any input appreciated!

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
when you take your instrument cluster apart its the wireing harness all the way to the left (closest to the drivers side window) that controls all of that stuff... its the only thing i can think of. i have similar problems with my center connector which controlls all of the gauges other then tack

http://superdutydiesel.com/wiki2/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=20 to disable your door chime

snowman

farm boy
Reaction score
i have the same random ding, also i have been low on wash and stuff as well and no lights come on. my seat belt light does come on when i start my truck but it shuts off with out the seat belt in...it gets annoying when driving with people that aren't used to it cuz they ask every 5 secs what is that!?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the lower dash panel... under the steering column, where all the wires come down from the turn sigs, ignition, CC, ect., search and find a small Black wire with a Pink tracer..... Snip it...... No More "Key In The Ignition" Dinger.

Worked on my 2K anyway. :dunno

Maybe some others have a better way. :dunno

JOE

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
Remove the lower dash panel... under the steering column, where all the wires come down from the turn sigs, ignition, CC, ect., search and find a small Black wire with a Pink tracer..... Snip it...... No More "Key In The Ignition" Dinger.

Worked on my 2K anyway. :dunno

Maybe some others have a better way. :dunno

JOE

That's the problem .....

The dinging can come from many different things. The key-in-ignition is just one of several. I do not know that that is it. I wanted to try to find out before I just started disconnecting things.

Snowman, sounds like your problem is IDENTICAL to mine .....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Righty then. Guess I can't help ya. Maybe another will jump in.

It would help if you gave the year, model of what ever yer drive'n.

JOE

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have disconnected the seatbelt minder and the key-in-ignition chime.

It's still there.

When a light comes on (such as low coolant) .... is it supposed to chime?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
SeventyMach1 said:
Okay, I have disconnected the seatbelt minder and the key-in-ignition chime.

It's still there.

When a light comes on (such as low coolant) .... is it supposed to chime?

yes. low fuel, coolant, oil, water in fuel, door ajar (not a door), alt/battery, bascially any warning light will set off the chime, ebrake on to thats a good place to check for a switch not making full contact and driving down the road will let the pedal settle enough to light the light if the p-brake hasnt been kept adjusted. rare but it happens, dont ask me how i know:eek:

snowman

farm boy
Reaction score
i also have a 99.5 7.3L f-350...i've tried anything that i could possibly think of to get it to shut off and nothing...i've plugged the seatbelt in and out while its going and nothing...i'm hoping it'll just wear itself out..haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14