The new fuel filter odyssey-long winded

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a new fuel filter for the 7.3. Headed to the outer banks for some deer hunting on Sunday. Well, I went and bought a Motorcraft filter from the local parts counter monkey just like last time. Got home and it was missing the filter housing cap. Went back and this was the only MC in stock and local Ford dealer was $20 higher. So, I buy a Purolator brand.

Get home, pull off old filer housing and filter. Lube gasket and o-ring on new filter etc, etc. Install new filter and housing. Now, my Buick is parked beside the SD since I had used it to run parts so I did not have to work over a hot motor.

Turn on switch and wait on the WTS light to go out and the fuel pressure to build. All of a sudden, 2 high pressure streams of diesel start squirting out of the filter housing. One takes care of dousing my Buick and the other coats my SD hood, fender and windshield etc. Cut off key, bleed fuel & pressure and open back up filter housing thinking I had pinched the gasket. Cleaned filter seat again and checked gasket for damage. Re-installed as above.

Cut on switch and once fuel pressure builds, two steams of fuel again. Now, I am po'ed. Too mad to be smart enough to move Buick out of the way of high pressure fuel stream. Now for the third time, I disassemble and use my OLD gasket and guess what, two streams of diesel again.

Pull off housing, and after cooling off I inspected the injection molded housing for the filter lid. I find TWO holes where the injection flow of molten nylon had not filled completely at the base of two different ribs. Now, let me pre-face this by saying I spent 20+ years in injection molding and my last 12 years molding automotive parts. I realize my problem is becuase some ass had not PM'ed the mold as per requirements and probably produced bunches of bad filter housings :doh:. Glass filled nylon requires clean molds to get even gas venting and proper flow fronts.

Traveled back to parts house and got another. The Manager's response was "Sorry about that" :eek:. We will not discuss what I really wanted to say to the Manager, but you can imagine. At least they could have offered some car wash or something becuase he knew I was pissed and had TWO vehicles coated with oil to clean. I smelled like a long-dead dinosaur :D.

Installed the replacement and no problems. I inspected this one with a bright light to ensure there were NO holes in the molded part before using. My neighbors wife was headed to work and obviously had heard my earlier tirade, because she stopped her car at the end of the driveway and asked if I needed something and was ok.

Morale of the story here.....Buy OEM! Should have known better than stray from Motorcraft filters. I spent another three hours cleaning my Buick, Superduty and driveway. Should ahve spent the extra $20 and got it from the Ford dealer or waited until the parts house had MC back in stock.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is one of the better stories I have heard about fuel filters. You learned a good lesson; buy only Motorcraft. I am sorry you had to de-grease two vehicles. :D

Dave :D

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Dave, glad I could entertain you a little with my saga. It is a good story to me as well, now. Yesterday, not so funny, but it is behind me now and I can see a little humor. Posted this so others might learn from my misfortune.

Needless to say, every fuel filter housing from now on will be passed over a bright, white light to ensure there are no pin holes in the housing before I proceed. I will do this with MC filters because once bitten, twice shy, no matter the brand. Let me say, I have never had a problem with a Purolator product before.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:D Had a similar Flail-ex.. while "on the road", in a far away campground.

Changed the filter.. asked the wife to turn on the key, so I could check for leaks.. she thought I meant, START it. She Did. It Did.. she couldn't here me say: Shut It Off

Had to degrease ME.. AND, the Engine Bay ;):D:lmao

Seems the new, outa the box, cap, had a hair-line crack.. Had another spare, no leaky.

Put a Whole New understanding to : NO vehicle maintenance allowed in the Campground area.... though.

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg