thermocoupler install

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
Igot my gauges in the other day and going to try to get them put in inthe next day or two. i have always heard that you need to remove the exhaust mani to drill and tap for the pyro. In the intructions on dieselmanor.com it doesnt say anything about it and just says to vacuum the hole. is this correct or do i need to remove the manifold? thanks-cody

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
funny, i just got my gauges from diesel manor too. you dont need to remove the manifold. Just drill a small hole on the rear of the drivers side manifold up from the bottom. So shavings will fall. go up one bit size at a time to make shavings small. Then vacuume it out. then put the tip of the thermocoupler so its in the center of the manifold. and tighten the collar down. Diesel manor has good instructions.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no need to pull the manifold...thanks to gravity the cuttings fall DOWN...
i punched a mark, then drilled a small hole and move up to the proper
size on the 2nd drilling.

i would NOT grease the tap...let the bits fall (dry) and vac. if you must
(i didnt)....some just start the truck and let any remaining clippings blow
out the hole (there will be surprisingly few clippings)...and theyre very
very small.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
i actually drilled and tapped WHILE the engine was idling so there was NO way the filings could end up inside the manifold to make their way to the turbo.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
funny, i just got my gauges from diesel manor too. you dont need to remove the manifold. Just drill a small hole on the rear of the drivers side manifold up from the bottom. So shavings will fall. go up one bit size at a time to make shavings small. Then vacuume it out. then put the tip of the thermocoupler so its in the center of the manifold. and tighten the collar down. Diesel manor has good instructions.

yep
cast iron and a sharp bit at low speeds will curl the chips and let em fal back to earth. I did on bth trucks use a bit of heavy grease on the tap just to pull any small stuff out
and while tapping cast iron SLOW and steady, go in a 1/2 -3/4 turn then back out a 1/8 -1/4 turn to remove or break out the chip, it takes longer but it leaves a good clean hole and threads.

remember spead is your enemy, cast iron likes to be cut slow and with a sharp bit, start small and work up to the final size.

Reaction score
Heck no use self starting bits and plow through with the proper size done 2 like this. Guess i'm just a daredevil that boss hogs his way through everything though. :roflmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58