These dang unitized hubs!!!

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. My name is Jerry and I'm new to the forum but a longtime Powerstroke fiend. I just found your forum yesterday or probably would've checked in and been a regular long ago.

I have a bad hub/bearings on my EARLY (pre- 3/22/99) '99 F250 4X4. From what I've read, it seems that I have little choice than paying for Ford's outrageously priced hub or doing an $1800 hub conversion....which is also out of the question. The truck has been great so far and from what I've read, it appears that the 275k miles that I've gotten out of this hub is waaaaay beyond it's average life expectancy. I was reading on here last night while I was trying to research my options that you can buy the newer hubs (which are available aftermarket for ALOT cheaper) as long as you run the new rotors to go along with them. Which would normally be fine.....if I had not just put brand new PowerSlot rotors all the way around it about 2 weeks ago:doh:.....which is when I found my problem.

According to what I've read, it seems that the difference is the hub flange thickness......10mm on the early models, and 13mm on the later models. Which will cause the brakes to drag if you use the wrong one. Anybody feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong or not understanding the big picture. My question is that couldn't you just use the new hubs (13mm flange) with my old rotors (made for 10mm flange) and use a 3mm washer to space the caliper to it's proper location???(actually, I would machine a spacer to make something better than just a regular old washer).

Normally I'm not into such a Jerry-rigged fix........but a $150 hub sounds MUCH better than paying $650 for it at the moment.

I'm still stewing over the fact that Ford would do something so stupid.....but that's an entirely different rant....:rant

Sorry for the long post. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Jerry.
:SDD2

Adding a spacer should work. I'm one of those people who did shell out for a hub conversion kit. In that kit, there were 2 different sized spacers for mounting the caliper depending on earlier or later hubs. I want to say they were about 1/8" different or like you say, about 3mm.

I don't remember which way it went, but if you say you need more of an offset to get it all to work, I don't see why it won't work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58