Thick white smoke

ralphinnj

Lifted Dually in NJ
Reaction score
Yeah, but I heard from a Ford tech that the cause is not sand. The solder on the oil cooler MELTS due to hgih EGT's in the EGR cooler. That forms an obstruction in the EGR cooler or somewhere along the line of flow for coolant. Same end effect.

Ralph

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres NO solder on that egr cooler...and
anyone thats saying there is shouldnt be wrenching imo !

theres a HUGE difference between
SOLDER, BRAISING & TIG WELDING !

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
In the end, they did replace the oil cooler, egr cooler, and egr valve. I'll look into the coolant filter. Thanks guys.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad youre back on the road !

if that tech dropped in the required
stop leak youll wanna get the coolant
filter INSTALLED soon...or you could
be looking at doing this all over again
some day.

Fieldsinv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This is my first post. I just wanted to say its a good thing I read this post. I noticed black and white smoke a couple weeks ago when taking off from a complete stop. I called my service tech at Ford who said its most likely a high level of sulfar in the fuel. I drove of the remaining fuel and continued to see the smoke. After reading this post, I rechecked the degas bottle and found it empty. (I refilled it about 2-weeks ago when I found it empty).

I dropped the truck off this morning (F250 FX4, 6.0, auto), and told the writer to check the EGR valve and oil cooler. I just got a call from the service tech, they are replacing the egr valve, egr cooler and oil cooler.

I will let you know if anything else comes up.

Fieldsinv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got my truck back today and its running great. The tech pressure test the heads to verify they were not blown. Said it tested good and the famous words "You should'nt have anymore trouble." We all know what that means.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14