Things that make you go hmmmm...

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Friday's the big day. Ready or not, the wife's mobile grooming van takes its first clients. Taking the salvage from a wrecked grooming van and installing everything in a new chassis, with no blueprints, no specifications, nothing but pictures of finished units to guide me has been a trip.

Two things didn't work, and several things that I thought I had broken DO work (including the rooftop A/C that I dropped four feet) The 7KW generator would not run, but would crank. The local Onan shop said a new carb was in order.

I'm glad I waited. I was finishing the LP systems and got tired of crawling around under the truck. There was a little nagging voice inside my head telling me to work on the generator. So I started putzing around, got it to actually run if I held the choke closed. Then I noticed a little knob labeled "Altitude Adjustment".

So I started adjusting.

Pretty soon I didn't have to hold the choke, as the engine began to run well on its own. There was a lot of smoke from burning oil, but as the generator had been in storage for over two years, stored on its side, I figured that there were stuck rings and accumulated oil in one of the cylinders. The smoke dissipated. The engine began to run like a Swiss watch.

It ran for over an hour that way until I shut the engine down.

So I saved over $300 in parts and labor. I'll fill another boat tank and add some Seafoam to the tank to clean out any remaining crud. To say I was a happy camper would be an understatement.

Hearing voices...either there is a higher power looking out after me, or I have been incredibly lucky this year, coming back from kidney failure and a bum ticker. Either way, it made my day.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Get-er-done................ :sweet

Tbar

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:sweet:sweet Ray if you come to tampa. I have 3 dogs that need some cleaning...LOL A lab that's afraid of water and two pits that love water. Go figure. Oh and you can keep the fleas......:lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58