Things to do while R/R'ing ball joints?

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering

Here is a problem that I encountered. It my just be my set up! My rock shields around my rotors tend to viabrate. I also run 38" Super Swampers that viabrate everything. Just my :2c

Some steering questions that I do have: My steering isnt very tight. A little bit of play, not to much I cant handle. The steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn to the right going straight. The alignment is good. I hear that there is a set screw of some sort on the power steering pump that tightens the steering. Also could the steering linkage on the pitman arm be off a couple splines making the steering right of center??

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
Here is a problem that I encountered. It my just be my set up! My rock shields around my rotors tend to viabrate. I also run 38" Super Swampers that viabrate everything. Just my :2c

Some steering questions that I do have: My steering isnt very tight. A little bit of play, not to much I cant handle. The steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn to the right going straight. The alignment is good. I hear that there is a set screw of some sort on the power steering pump that tightens the steering. Also could the steering linkage on the pitman arm be off a couple splines making the steering right of center??

The screw you refer to is on the steerimg box itself, Just be careful when tightening it, A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY.....The way to correct the steering wheel is in the drag link that connects the pitman to the steering box. loosen the pinch bolts an rorate the sleeve and watch the wheel move...

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, I will try that out tonight. I will have to find out what the drag link is. I am so clueless only on front ends. Other than the basics.

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbs
Ok, Got the drag link straightened up, and the set screw tightened. She "almost" drives like a new truck again. But there seems to be something going on when I turn the wheel. Ever once in awhile, she will tighten up. I am thinking that its about time to change the power steering fluid. Has anyone already done this or know how to do it. This is something I have never done before. Is there a certain Steering fluid I should use?
Thanks everyone.
Once again, this site ROCKS!!!
:bama

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58