Think tranny is going out

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
back in november i towed a small load 1000 miles and the tranny started to make a humming/shutter noise in 4th gear. well it was about time for the full tranny flush 79k miles. I did that right before I drove home for christmas. I left the next day towing about a 9,000lb trailer from kansas city to virginia. First 500 miles was black ice so i didnt get the truck up over 50mph. Once the weather broke I was able to run 70ish and over the last 500 miles the slipping and shuttering got worse when crusing and down shifting from 5th to 4th. I was going to tow my trailer back loaded but the tranny woudlnt' let me. :rant
It dosent' slip on hard acceleration but only crusing and part throttle. I checked the fluid and it smelled burt and tasted burnt too :D So i am guessing the cluches are getting burt up in 4th gear. before i headed back to kansas i drained the pan and put some type f fluid in to put a bandaid on it. it worked for a few hundered miles but it came back.

atk

Reaction score
sounds like it`s toast....:sorry....if you do end up R/R trans, make sure the trans cooler and lines get flushed out really good....

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
that sux matt...

it does sound like mush to me too.

let us know on what you plan to do next and how it goes....

p.s. i take it you did not make it to MN.....:tounge:D

atk

Reaction score
I have to figure out whats going to be the best route. Reman from ford or a built one.

if you can afford it, get one built....may cost more now, but should last longer if built properly. plus sounds like you do a fair bit of towing....JMO

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
Well I still havn't done anything about the tranny yet. Out here in flat land it dont seem to slip. but this morning when i came to a stop the speedo said 11mph and would pick up as i moved. I wonder if this has anything to do with the tranny going out?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The speed sensor is in the rear differential. There are a couple of wires going to the top of the diff and THAT is the speed sensor. They do go out and give faulty speed readings.

Dave

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
well ended up having to put the truck in the shop because i noticed oil coming out around all my boots on the boost side. It appears it was my turbo the whole time. Dealer rebuilt it under warranty and so far everything is back to normal.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. What happened to the turbo? Glad to hear all is well and you are not out any major cash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58