Thinking about doing the trade

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal. I have the dealer trying to get me to trade trucks. They "really need" some good used trucks right now, and they're offering me a helluva deal on a new '08. The truck is literally loaded out with the exact same options as my current '06. My truck has 45k miles on it and I feel like this is kind of the breaking point for it's value. I.E. I'm going to get the best deal right now or I am going to drive it until 140-150k miles. What do you all think?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal. I have the dealer trying to get me to trade trucks. They "really need" some good used trucks right now, and they're offering me a helluva deal on a new '08. The truck is literally loaded out with the exact same options as my current '06. My truck has 45k miles on it and I feel like this is kind of the breaking point for it's value. I.E. I'm going to get the best deal right now or I am going to drive it until 140-150k miles. What do you all think?

I'd rather keep the truck you have since it's a known, reliable vehicle that you can do a lot more with (eg: exhaust w/o the DPF) vs. the '08.

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have definitely considered that. And, if I end up keeping mine, I'll be getting the SCT from Elite which should hopefully jack up my highway mileage. :sly among other things...

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KEEP IT ! avoid the reliablity reducing mods & stay outta debt <new
truck payment> at the same time ! :D

for that matter if the dealer is making the deal NOW...itll still be there
<and potentially better> w/ time...

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just worried about long term value vs. current value. It always seems that when a new model comes out, it kills the old one's value. They're offering me a load for mine on trade and I get X-plan. I don't know, it's a tough decision. I'd really like to have virtually no turbo lag. Pulling uphill with mine fully loaded from a stop is disheartening.

JRJ04

Reaction score
keep what youve got! these trucks depreciate quick in the first two years and then it slows down a lot after that. i agree with everyone else....we dont know what the 08's are gonna end up being like and i sure wouldnt want to be a guinea pig and find out. as far as the dealership needing used trucks...thats a sales pitch and nothing more

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the owner of the dealership very well. We actually duck hunt together, so I'm not worried about them feeding me a line of BS. They typically have a huge selection of nice used trucks and right now they have nill. My biggest issue is the fact that I can literally trade for the exact same truck just a new body style and it has a moonroof for less than 10k difference....45000 miles on mine, so I don't know.

I definitely agree that they depreciate quickly in the first two years, but I also know that I like to switch things up. :dunno I'm still thinking on it. But I definitely appreciate all the advice.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest issue is the fact that I can literally trade for the exact same truck just a new body style and a new, unproven, COMPLEX engine and a new, COMPLEX+EXPENSIVE-TO-FIX exhaust/emissions system and it has a moonroof for less than 10k difference....45000 miles on mine, so I don't know.

I definitely agree that they depreciate quickly in the first two years, but I also know that I like to switch things up. :dunno I'm still thinking on it. But I definitely appreciate all the advice.

I added some stuff in boldface to your post that you probablys should have added...

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the add.

I've talked to several more folks today that are very happy with their trucks. My service manager buddy said he's only had to do a t-stat on one. He said they are 100 times better than the 6.0 as far as build quality out of the box.

Reaction score
I've talked to several more folks today that are very happy with their trucks. My service manager buddy said he's only had to do a t-stat on one. He said they are 100 times better than the 6.0 as far as build quality out of the box.

I hear what you are saying, but how can he be so sure considering the trucks haven't even been on the road for a year?!!! I'm not saying he's wrong, but I think it's awfully arrogant to make that claim on such a short time frame. I don't have much confidence in new vehicle models until their second production year has come and gone. :2c

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl