Help Needed This could only happen to me....

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I swear to God, everytime i touch my truck...I never get done what I want becuase I always end up &@!@$% something up in the process!!!

Well earlier this evening, I decided to remove the EBPV tube and clean it out per the instructions on Guzzles homepage. Took the sensor out, all was well and then moved on to detaching the tube on the top of the motor. The instructions require the use of a crow's foot wrench due to the lack to room you've got to work with. So, I had the crow foot attached to an extension and socket and then another wrench in there to serve as a back up. you get the idea...

well the nut wasnt moving and so i decided to not force it and pull everything out and hit it with some penetrating oil and let it sit. Well I'll be darned if the crows foot didnt fall off the ratchet when i was pulling it out. Now for the zinger......the crows foot fell inside the "wheel" on the engine that the fan is attached. I spent hours trying to fish the thing out of there and you cant get it out from the bottom because there isnt enough clearance around it, so it has to come out from the top. but of course...gravity is working against me here and i cant pull it up.

Now, without further ado, my question. The engine runs fine with the thing in there. it doesnt hang anything up, the belt turns fine, fan turns well...everything is cool. Does this thing need to come out of there? What kind of risks do I take leaving it in there and living with the occassional rattle? Could it cause the "wheel" to get out of balance? I just know its gonna take some work to get that thing out of there because the fan is going to have to come off and god knows what else. Needless to say its going to my mechanic if any of that has to happen.

Sorry for the long post....your thoughts please?!?!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Does this thing need to come out of there? What kind of risks do I take leaving it in there and living with the occasional rattle? Could it cause the "wheel" to get out of balance?
I would do whatever it takes to get it out of there. Along with the obvious balance issues the thing might decide to try and come out on it's own someday and who know what it will tear up in the process.

dpantazis

Reaction score
j:

what wheel are you talking about? an idler for the belt? the fan clutch?

i would not run that motor until i got the wrench out.

will a long magnet on a stick help you? can you see it? if you have line of sight, then this tool will work for you:

KD Tools

if its the fan clutch, iirc, its magnetic inside, so it may be stuck in there.

dennis

JRJ04

Reaction score
what wheel are you talking about? an idler for the belt? the fan clutch?

It is the wheel that is directly connected to the fan. I guess that would be the fan clutch?:dunno I always thought that was next to the a/c.

i would not run that motor until i got the wrench out.

will a long magnet on a stick help you? can you see it? if you have line of sight, then this tool will work for you:

KD Tools

No, i cannot see it. Only feel it. And i believe it can only come out through the top. The problem is, its not a straight line that i can get to it AND the second I touch it with anything, it pushes back to the center where i cant get to it.

if its the fan clutch, iirc, its magnetic inside, so it may be stuck in there.

If it is magnetic, its not very strong cause I can move it with my fingers.

how hard is it to remove that "wheel" (which i think would be the fan clutch if its the wheel connected directly to the fan)? it looks like youd have to take off a lot of crap to get to that thing and then make sure you have it torqued back up to spec. That just overwhelms me...

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
j:

my bad, the fan clutch is hydraulic, not magnetic. the A/C is electromagnetic. JLD straightened me out on that one.

is the crowsfoot inside the pulley behind the fan? if you can feel it, then try the flexi magnet.

taking the fan and fan clutch off is not that big a deal, its half of doing a water pump.

Diesel-Central.com the technical source for Diesel Truck information, Truck Pulling, and Drag Racing

let us know how you are making out.

EDIT: did you consider playing the lottery or powerball today? you should ;)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JR... you might try wedging a piece of something (cardboard, sponge) in the side of the fan hub.. then roll the fan/hub around to where you can snag it with a magnet or a pic (fab'd from a coat hanger or wire) of some sort ??

Joe

The ONLY thing permissible to leave... In, On or Around and engine, when you shut the hood, after work'n on it is...... BLOOD. EVER.

JRJ04

Reaction score
well God must be on my side tonight...

after about 30 SOLID minutes to messing with the thing, i pulled up on a telescoping magnet i had and i said to myself "well look what I found!!!" the thing was just sittin there on the end of it like it was meant to be there!!:sweet

I appreciate all of your help and support. my rig will be hitting the freeway at 7 am sharp!

Joe, thats a really good idea about the cardboard. I probably would have had it out already if i had done that.

I ended up not being able to get the tube loose from the top, so i said screw it ill just clean it in place. and thats exactly what i finished doing. we shall see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again guys!

Jourdan

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
darn, Jourdan..you got more hard luck than Johnny Cash..
glad you got it outta there though.

dpantazis

Reaction score
jourdan-

here's a dollar, go play the lottery!

don;t get discouraged, we have all had little learning experiences like this. better the crows foot in the hub instead of a broken spark plug down the hole, DAMHIKT.

dennis

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pulled up on a telescoping magnet i had and i said to myself "well look what I found!!!" the thing was just sittin there on the end of it like it was meant to be there!!:sweet

GOOD ON YA Jourdan... ya Got'r outa there. ;tu ;tu

We've ALL had similar experience's. Stuff like that is just part of wrench'n on things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14