time for gears and a better posi

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
please post your opinions/experiences with posi units for the ford 10.5" rear end.
i am not exactly sure the difference between the auburn, eaton, and detroit brand posi units other than the type of units that they are..

but i would appreciate some input from you guys on the strengths/weaknesses of the different types, and the reasons why you would go with one over the other please.

my goals for the vehicle are heavy street/strip action, aggressive off roading (but no rock crawling, and no towing )

these are the 3 main units i have been trying to decide between, if there is something else out there that i have missed, please feel free to give your 2cents on those also:

AUBURN LTD SLIP : preloaded cone style clutch system. hardened spider
gears. this appears to be the most expensive type of the ones i've
been looking at. If i were to go with a clutch type posi, this is the
one i've been leaning toward, but i'd like to know real world difference
between this type of clutch and the eaton posi.

EATON POSI : carbon fiber clutches, forged gears, rebuildable. preload
springs with clutches. this appears to be about 100 bucks cheaper
than the auburn unit, is this type less reliable ? or just cheaper to
manufacture ?

DETROIT TRUE TRAC : clutchless posi unit. price was not the determining
factor when i found myself wanting to go with this type of posi over
the overs, even though it is actually quite a bit cheaper than the
clutch style posi units. I may be dead wrong, but i just figured that
a gear drive posi unit would seem to last longer than a clutch type
before needed to be rebuilt/replaced ??

fill me in guys, so that i can make an informed decision, and i am wanting to do this immediately. my truck should be back from the tranny shop this afternoon and i want to get the 4.10/4.11's on as soon as possible.

and before you add them to the list, no i don't want to run a "locker"
i know all about the air locker, the ratcheting locker, and the electronic locker, i just want a heavy duty posi unit. this is a daily driver, but yes i am willing to sacrifice a LITTLE bit of smoothness in trade for a more solid, reliable traction method.

do you guys have any particular brand you would go with over another as far as the actual ring/pinion sets and rebuild kits (bearings/seals/shims etc), or should i just go with the best deal ? i mean i'm pretty sure i can't go wrong with any of the major names like yukon gear, jts gear, usa gear ???

i've also seen different listings for my rear end depending on where i'm looking, some say it's a 31spline, some say it's a 35spline. some say 10.5" , some 10.25" .. the only thing i DO know for sure is the front end is a dana 60 reverse rotation...

Last edited:

jwplunkett

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Don't have answers to many of your questions

However I do recommend you also add ARB Air lockers to your selection:
-Refer to web site
ARB Air Locker Heavy Duty 4x4 Bumpers

-Per my research to date --- this is the locker I will select when funding comes available
-I like having the Option to fully engage only when needed
-Plus the Air tank / compressor can be used for many other uses
Pump up tires, repair flats, pump any sort of water toys etc

Hope this helps a bit

Have a great one

John from Colfax NC

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
Don't have answers to many of your questions

However I do recommend you also add ARB Air lockers to your selection:
-Refer to web site
ARB Air Locker Heavy Duty 4x4 Bumpers

-Per my research to date --- this is the locker I will select when funding comes available
-I like having the Option to fully engage only when needed
-Plus the Air tank / compressor can be used for many other uses
Pump up tires, repair flats, pump any sort of water toys etc

Hope this helps a bit

Have a great one

John from Colfax NC

no i'm not going to go with arb's.. have used them in the past on some trail rigs.. i dont like the fact that they are totally open unless you need them, because there are times when you just need a little extra, but don't want the hassle of a fully locked diff..

honestly i'd go with lockers before i'd go with an ARB, if i were you i would drive an ARB equipped truck before making that decision, because they handle very differently when locked. you have to plan your turns accordingly, because the steering is very difficult and 'pushes' badly when locked. tire wear is extreme. IMHO you need the ability to have different wheel speeds, which you get with a locker and not an ARB..

i've decided on the true trac already. now i just need to decide if i am going to to go with 4.10's or 4.30's that's my main issue currently.
also, if you really are considering a selectable on/off locker, look into the e'locker from eaton. same concept, but w/out all the hassle of hte arb with compressor, air tanks, solenoids, air lines etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14