Time for new Batteries???

y2kpsd

Member #11
Reaction score
I was sick in bed and didn't start my truck for 10 days and when I tried to start it this morning it barley turned over. It seemed like the batteries were almost dead. I thought I was going to have to use the battery pack to get the truck started but it started. My question is, the truck is 5 years old, has about 70K on it and original batteries. Should the batteries have drained after sitting for that length of time? Should I consider replacing the batteries or is it normal for the batteries to discharge after sitting for ten days? The truck was parked inside and the weather has not been abnormally cold for this time of year(40-60 degrees). Today it's 65 degrees.

What do you gents think? Am I worrying needlessly?

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
5 years and 70K, its time for new batts.

Yeah, I would say you got your moneys worth out of them. If you are not concerned about being stuck somewhere with dead ones you could run them until they are gone but I find as they are getting older they start getting nasty and get acid all over. I figure the extra couple of month I get is not worth the hassell or the mess.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 years is it for stock batteries. Any longer and your running on borrowed time.

Replace them in matched pairs. Same brand, same style, etc etc.

Now is your chance to go with a dual optima setup. Two batteries on one side. This allows you to mount other things where one of the batteries was.

Either way. get new bats. soon.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
5 years is it for stock batteries. Any longer and your running on borrowed time.

Replace them in matched pairs. Same brand, same style, etc etc.

Now is your chance to go with a dual optima setup. Two batteries on one side. This allows you to mount other things where one of the batteries was.

Either way. get new bats. soon.

Daryl,

Have you got pics of the dual optima setup?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not yet. they are IN, but havnt taken the camera out to the truck to get pics. Need to do that.

Its a VERY tight fit, and I had to grind on my stock battery tray pretty badly. Would be alot easier if I moved the vacuum bottle somewhere else, or at least slotted the holes in the inner fender panel that it bolts too.

Its not really worth the 120 bucks per battery unless you NEED the space. I needed the space, so....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the others have said: 5 years is about it, time for new Batts. Mine did the same as yours... It started but just did'nt have the Punch, after set'n for a couple days. I just replaced mine (5 years, 89K), 2 Yellow Top Optimas, prolly payed to much but bought them from SEARS. Smaller, lighter, nice fit. Came with all hold down bracketry. My first Gel Cells..... We'll see.

JOE

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellow tops are more of a "long drain between recharge" type battery. THe redtops are a more "short drain between recharge" battery.

If you leave your radio running for hours on end, the yellowtops are better. If you just need a battery to start the truck, the redtops are better.

Then there are the bluetops, which are a combination of the red and yellow. Higher output of a redtop, with the recovery of a yellowtop.

dmd

Reaction score
Just got to wally world and get two of their good batteries. You can buy 3 sets for what you will pay for those others. even if the Optimas last twice as long as a regular set, you are still way ahead.

Optimas are graet of they are going to get really bounced around or flipped over. If you abuse your truck like that the truck wouldnt last long enough to use teh Optimas anyways.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the optimas to free up space. My air compressor is in the driver battery tray, and both optimas are in the passenger tray.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58